Descriptive Metadata for Television is a comprehensive introduction for television professionals that need to understand metadata's purpose and technology. This easy-to-read book translates obscure technical to hands-on language understandable by real people.
1: What Is Metadata?
- So, What Is "Metadata?
- What Metadata Is Not: Myths and Facts
- Perceptions of Metadata
- Relationships with Current and Future Broadcast Technologies
- The Perceived Relationship with the Data Handling (Information) Technologies
- The Very Real Relationship with Information Science
- Data Structures, Rules, and Values
- Metadata as the Key to Knowledge Management during the Production Processes
- Knowing What You've Got and Everything about It
- Libraries as a Resource and Gold Mine
- Where Is the Metadata?
- Metadata Synchronization
2: Types of Metadata
- The "Purpose of Metadata
- Metadata in the Workflow
3: Metadata Schemes, Structures, and Encoding
- Metadata Schemes and Structures
- Object Records and Item Records (Complex Objects)
- Metadata Structure Standards
- Metadata Rules Standards
- Metadata Value Standards
- Maintenance of Metadata
- Encoding of Metadata
4: The Impact of Technology Change on People and
- How Is Metadata Captured and Stored?
- Who Owns the Metadata?
- Practicalities and Opportunities of Desktop Production in the New Workflows
- Where Can Metadata Leak Away?
- Authenticity in Metadata
- Mapping Metadata to Different Systems
5: Identifiers and Identification
- Registered Identifiers
- Unregistered Identifiers
- Identifiers with Production to Consumer Relevance
6: Metadata for the Consumer
- Online: Yes or No?
- Metadata as the Connector between Broadcast Content and Internet Content
- Metadata and Consumer Needs
- Stages of the Production and Transmission Process Chains to the Consumer
- Metadata Elements
- Metadata for Locating the "Stuff
- Metadata in Marketing
- Other Useful Metadata
7: Metadata in Public Collections
- Donations by Broadcasters
- Donations by Individuals and Production Companies
- Programs Recorded Off-Air
- Metadata Added by the Public Archive
- Getting Metadata out to the Public