This is the essential student’s guide to Design – its practice, its theory and its history. Drawing from a wide range of international examples, respected design writer Catherine McDermott explores key topics including:
- international design – from Europe to Africa
- design history – from Art Nouveau to punk
- sustainable design, recycling and green design
- design theory – from semiotics to gender, to postcolonialism
- design technology, graphic design and the web.
Fully cross-referenced, with up-to-date guides for further reading, Design: The Key Concepts is an indispensable reference for students of design, design history, fashion, art and visual culture.
Table of Contents
List of Concepts. Introduction. Key Concepts. Bibliography. Index
Catherine McDermott is Professor in the School of Design at Kingston University, London and a well known writer and curator on contemporary design. Her current projects includes work for the Design Council, Museums Association and a project working with African designers and curators.