This edition has been fully revised and extended to cover blockwork and Eurocode 6 on masonry structures. This valued textbook:
- discusses all aspects of design of masonry structures in plain and reinforced masonry
- summarizes materials properties and structural principles as well as descibing structure and content of codes
- presents design procedures, illustrated by numerical examples
- includes considerations of accidental damage and provision for movement in masonary buildings.
This thorough introduction to design of brick and block structures is the first book for students and practising engineers to provide an introduction to design by EC6.
Table of Contents
1. Loadbearing Masonry Buildings 2. Bricks, Blocks and Mortars 3. Masonry Properties 4. Codes of Practice for Structural Masonry 5. Design for Compressive Loading 6. Design for Wind Loading 7. Lateral Load Analysis of Masonry Panels 8. Composite Action between Walls and Other Elements 9. Design for Accidental Damage 10. Reinforced Masonry 11. Prestressed Masonry 12. Design Calculations for a Seven-Storey Dormitory Building According to BS 5628 13. Movements in Masonry Buildings. Notation. Definition of Terms Used in Masonry. References and Further Reading
Professor Hendry is Professor Emeritus at the University of Edinburgh. He has carried out research work on structural masonry for over thirty years and is the author of numerous books and papers on the subject. For many years he served on the BSI and international committees concerned with codes of practice and standards for masonry structures and has received many awards for his expertise in structural.
Dr Sinha is a Reader in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Edinburgh. Particularly involved in masonry engineering in developing countires, he has published a large number of papers in international journals and conferences.
Dr Davies is currently an Honorary Fellow of the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Edinburgh. He has co-authored and solely authored a number of books related to load bearing brickwork design, reinforced masonry and the application of spreadsheets to design analysis.
'A place should be found for this book on the shelves of practising structural engineers.' – Structural Survey