Designing Data Reports that Work provides research-based best practices for constructing effective data systems in schools and for designing reports that are relevant, necessary, and easily understood. Clear and coherent data systems and data reports significantly improve educators’ data use and save educators time and frustration. The strategies in this book will help those responsible for designing education data reports—including school leaders, administrators, and educational technology vendors—to create productive data reports individualized for each school or district. This book breaks down the key concepts in creating and implementing data systems, ensuring that you are a better partner with teachers and staff so they can work with and use data correctly and improve teaching and learning.
Table of Contents
1. Data Reports Are the Silent Star
2. Label Standards
3. Supplemental Documentation Standards
4. Help System Standards
5. Package/Display Standards: Big Picture
6. Package/Display Standards: Report Design
7. Package/Display Standards: User Interface
8. Content Standards
9. Work with Educators
10. Put It All Together
Jenny Grant Rankin, Ph.D., teaches at the University of Cambridge for the PostDoc Masterclass and is the former Chief Education and Research Officer at Illuminate Education, an educational technology data systems company. She has been an award-winning teacher, technology coordinator, site administrator, and district administrator.
Featured Author Profiles
"Too often working with education data is a solo and DIY effort. Dr. Rankin has synthesized best practices from hundreds of experts in the field to provide a go-to resource."
- Leo Bialis-White, Vice President of Impact, Schoolzilla
"Dr. Rankin's pragmatic approach to data systems and reporting design will shorten your engineering cycles and put relevant, usable data in the hands of your customers. This book is a must-read for anyone who wants to go beyond data warehousing and create something that can truly raise the game of teachers and the students they teach."
-Rudi Lewis, Chief Operating Officer, Silverback Learning Solutions
"The standards covered in this book revolutionized our edtech data system and data reports. This book is the leading source for anyone who wants to share education data effectively."
- Lane D. Rankin, CEO/President/Founder, Illuminate Education
"As someone who worked on data at the school district level on a daily basis for many years, a book like this would have saved me a lot of time."
- Rufus Thompson, Formerly the Technology Coordinator for Mountain View School District, Ontario, California
"This book is comprehensive, thoughtful, specific, and ahead of its time when it comes to data-driven instruction best practices. Anyone who follows these standards is certainly on a path to achieve successful outcomes."
- Ryan Winter, President, LinkIt!
- "Big Picture" Action Table
- Common and Inappropriate Data Displays
- Details on Evidence (supporting every one of the OTCD Standards)
- Dilemma Countered by a Proactive Mindset
- Evaluations in Online Survey Format
- Input Control Examples
- Needs Matrix (PDF)
- Needs Matrix (Excel)
- OTCD Standards
- Reference Guide Templates
- Reference Sheet Templates
- Sample Reference Guides
- Sample Reference Sheets
- Report Before and After Examples
- Sample Help Lesson from Illuminate Education
- Sample Questions Data Can Help Answer