Destination Marketing Essentials
Destination Marketing offers the reader an integrated and comprehensive overview of the key challenges and constraints facing destination marketing organisations (DMOs) and how destination marketing can be planned, implemented and evaluated to achieve successful destination competitiveness.
This new third edition has been revised and updated to include:
- 27 new and updated case studies, including destinations such as Sri Lanka, Barbados, the UAE, and crucially relevant topics such as the Australian bushfires and the threat of COVID-19
- Brand-new pedagogical features such as in-chapter class activities, key term definitions, and highlighted critical points
- New content on cross-sector consortia marketing for meetings and events, social media influencer marketing, the role of technology, resource consumption and climate change, creativity and innovation in developing destination branding, experiential destination marketing and the influence of culture and sustainability on destination marketing
- Links to free access of the author’s journal articles on destination marketing
- Updated additional online resources for lecturers and students including PowerPoint slides, quizzes and discussion questions
It is written in an engaging style and applies theory to a range of tourism destinations at the consumer, business, national and international level by using topical examples.
1. The study of destination marketing
2. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO) and destination competitiveness
3. Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO) funding and governance
4. Co-operating to compete
5. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO), disasters, crises, and dark tourism
6. Destination marketing strategy framework
7. Destination brand identity
8. Destination image
9. Destination brand positioning
10. Destination marketing communications
11. Destination marketing organisation (DMO) public relations and publicity seeking
12. The destination marketing organisation (DMO) and social media
13. The destination marketing organisation (DMO) and the travel trade
14. Destination marketing performance measurement
‘This extensively revised third edition positions the book as a contemporary classic on destination marketing. With a wide range of elucidative international case studies this textbook has a great impact on teaching in under- and post-graduate tourism programmes. This is absolutely the most important hands-on book on destination marketing ever written to date from an author who has equally spent 20 years in the tourism industry and 20 years in academia’.
Professor Filareti Kotsi, Zayed University, United Arab Emirates
‘This is a new edition of a text that brings a great deal of practitioner experience blended with academic research on a hot topic in tourism research. The author has a wealth of experience in this area and the text is synthesised in an exemplary manner for students and industry’.
Professor Stephen Page, University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom