Destination Marketing offers the reader an integrated and comprehensive overview of the key challenges and constraints facing destination marketing organisations (DMOs) and how destination marketing can be planned, implemented and evaluated to achieve successful destination competitiveness.
This new second edition has been revised and updated to include:
- new slimline 15-chapter structure
- new chapters on Destination Competitiveness and Technology
- new and updated case studies throughout, including emerging markets
- new content on social media marketing in destination marketing organisations and sustainable destination marketing
- additional online resources for lecturers and students including PowerPoint slides, quizzes and discussion questions.
It is written in an engaging style and applies theory to a range of tourism destinations at the consumer, business, national and international level by using topical examples.
Table of Contents
1. The study of destination marketing 2. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO) and destination competitiveness 3. The role of Government in destination competitiveness 4. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO) and social media 5. Governance of Destination Marketing Organisations (DMO) 6. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO), meetings and events 7. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO), disasters, crises, and dark tourism 8. Destination marketing strategy development 9. Destination branding 10. Destination image 11. Destination brand positioning 12. Destination consumer-marketing communications 13. The Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO), public relations and publicity 14. Destination Marketing Organisations (DMO) and the travel trade 15. Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO) performance measurement
Steven Pike is Associate Professor of Marketing at Queensland University of Technology, Australia. Steven spent 20 years working in the tourism industry before completing his PhD in destination marketing in 2002 and is a regular speaker at international tourism conferences.
"This is a new and expanded edition of a text that brings a great deal,of practitioner experience blended with academic research on a hot topic in tourism and marketing research. The author has a wealth of experience in this area and it is synthesised in an exemplary manner for students and industry. This is a must read both as a textbook and as a supplementary reading for undergraduates and postgraduates globally."- Professor Stephen J Page, Deputy Dean (Research and Professional Practice), Faculty of Management, Bournemouth University, UK
“A real-life, hands-on, insightful and engaging read from an author who has all the necessary qualities to be truly authoritative in the field of destination marketing. His extensive academic and destination experience are reflected in each chapter with an eye for critical insight and practical implementation commendable, making it an essential read for undergraduate students around the world.”- Professor Alan Fyall, Editor, Journal of Destination Marketing & Management
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.