© 2017 – Routledge
284 pages | 64 B/W Illus.
Addressing the changing world of professionalism, this text combines theory, research and practice, using real case studies, to investigate the process of becoming professional. Mapping the journey from allied or associate practitioner positions through qualifying and into advanced practitioner status, it is a valuable companion for health and social care, social work and allied health students from the beginning of their studies.
Developing Professional Practice in Health and Social Care is an accessible text, including case studies, reflective exercises and activities, chapter aims and summaries and further reading boxes throughout. It covers:
Maintaining a strong focus on the ethical dimensions of professional practice, this text emphasises how health and social care practitioners can contribute to social justice and challenge social exclusion.
Lists of figures
List of tables
List of contributors
1. The current context and climate of professionals: Definitions and history(Adam Barnard)
2. Philosophy for Professionals – The Practice of Philosophy (Adam Barnard and Hannah Sawtell)
3. Values and Ethics for Professionals (Adam Barnard)
4. Professional Identity (Nick Hartrop)
5. Working in Organisational Systems- Current challenges and Dilemmas (Simon Howard)
6. Critical Practice: ‘Touching something lightly many times’: some thoughts on language and reparation in relation to mental health and social justice (Linda Kemp)
7. Globalised Practice (Adam Barnard)
8. Reflections on conditionality- issues of social policy for the emerging professional (Chris Towers)
9. Professional Supervision (Jane Challinor)
10. Reflective writing for professional practice (Sian Trafford)
11. Contemplating ‘career’ across disciplines: reflexive explorations of ‘career’ (Ricky Gee)
12. Personal Development Planning as Reflection (Catherine Goodall)
13. Journeys of Faith: Personal stories and faith development in church schools (Andy Wolfe)
14. A Personal Learning Journey (Vicky Palmer)
15. The Tain of the Mirror (Kevin Flint, Adam Barnard and Vicky Palmer)