This book presents a comprehensive overview of global environmental problems - past, present and future - examining their roots and implications and suggesting, where possible, ways in which they might be mitigated or avoided by careful management.
1. Development and environment.
2. Structure, function and management of the environment.
3. The state of the earth: environmental crisis; ecocatastrophe; environmental catastrophe?
4. Stable environment? Sustainable development?
5. Atmospheric changes due to natural and human causes.
6. Desertification and soil degradation.
7. The degradation and loss of vegetation.
8. Environmental problems associated with agriculture.
9. Problems with river development.
10. Urbanisation, waste and pollution problems.
11. The greening of development.
12. Future prospects.