Developing the Digital Economy in ASEAN
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
This book advances the international debate on the development of e-commerce with focus on emerging ASEAN economies. It provides readers insights on Asia’s needs and efforts to improve the regional legal and economic conditions to support e-commerce. This book looks at the rules and regulations on e-commerce, and e-commerce for inclusiveness growth. It provides insights from several ASEAN member states and discovers the requirements for Asian countries to better grasp the new juncture of growth associated with economic digitalization, which also have deep implications on continuous regional integration and community-building.
Table of Contents
Introduction: ASEAN Development in Digital Economy (Lurong Chen and Fukunari Kimura)
1. E-commerce and International Trade (Kar-yiu Wong)
Part I: Rules and Regulations
2. Cross-Border Digital Trade and E-commerce Governance and Necessary Actions Ahead (Michitaka Nakatomi)
3. The Risk for ASEAN of New Mega-Agreements that Promote the Wrong Model of E-commerce (Jane Kelsey)
4. E-commerce in Free Trade Agreements and the Trans-Pacific Partnership (Inkyo Cheong)
5. An Online Dispute Resolution Scheme to Resolve E-commerce Dispute in ASEAN (Keon-Hyung Ahn)
Part II: Inclusive Growth
6. Indonesia’s Preparation for Digital Economy and E-commerce: Infrastructure, Regulatory, and Policy Development (Kalamullah Ramli)
7. E-commerce Adoption by ASEAN SMEs and its Domestic Challenges: Evidence from Malaysia (Noor Azina Ismail, Muhammad Mehedi Masud)
8. E-commerce Development and Internet Banking Adoption in Cambodia (Reth Soeng, Ludo Cuyvers and Morarith Soeung)
9. E-commerce in the Philippines: Gains and Challenges (Ramon L. Clarete)
10. Measuring E-readiness of Thailand in ASEAN: Macro and Micro E-commerce Perspectives (Siriluck Rotchanakitumnuai)
11. Internet Services and the Potential for Market Access for Rural Agricultural Households in Myanmar and Viet Nam (John Walsh)
12. ASEAN in the Digital Era: Enabling Cross-border E-commerce (Lurong Chen)
Lurong Chen is Economist at the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA). He obtained his PhD in International Economics from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland. His recent book, Emerging Global Trade Governance: Mega Free Trade Agreements and Implications for ASEAN, was published by Routledge in 2018.
Fukunari Kimura is Chief Economist at the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) and Professor at the Faculty of Economics, Keio University, Japan. He obtained his PhD in economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA. His research interests include international trade and development, economic growth, applied microeconomics, and Japanese and Asian economies. His previous book, Production Networks in Southeast Asia, was published by Routledge in 2017.