Digital Development in Korea Lessons for a Sustainable World
Digital Development in Korea explores the central role of digital information and communication technology in South Korea. Analyzing the role of ICT in green growth and sustainability, this new edition also demonstrates how concerns over public safety and the Olympic Games are shaping next generation digital networks.
Presenting a network-centric perspective to contextualize digital development politically, economically and socially, as well as in relation to globalization, urbanization and sustainability, this book builds on fi rsthand experience to explain the formulation and implementation of key policy decisions. It describes the revolutionary changes of the 1980s, including privatization and color television and the thorough restructuring that created a telecommunications sector. It then goes on to explore the roles of government leadership, international development and education in affecting the diffusion of broadband mobile communication, before weighing up the positive and negative aspects of Korea’s vibrant new digital media.
Seeking to identify aspects of the Korean experience from which developing countries around the world could benefi t, this book will be of interest to students, scholars and policymakers interested in communications technologies, Korean studies and developmental studies.
1. Digital development as Korea’s destiny: Placing the "miracle on the Han" in context
2. The origins of network-centric digital development in Korea
3. Building the "information superhighways" : Government leadership in the broadband network era
4. Korea’s Smart Cities and Urban Information Culture
5. Education, research and development for the hyper connected era
6. The global rise of Korea’s electronics industry: International trade and exports
7. Energy and ICT: transition to green growth and sustainable development
8. The Olympics and digital development
9. Next generation networks: the convergence of 5G and public safety LTE networks
10. Korea's Place in Cyberspace: Lessons for a Sustainable World