This book summarizes over 40 programs which enhance the success of students at risk. The emphases of these programs include individual students' learning skills, whole-school improvement, professional development, and parent and family improvement. Names and addresses of key people at each site are also included.
- Introduction and background
- Program, Instructional, and Curricular Initiatives includes AVID, California Mini-Corps, Core Knowledge, Efficacy, Equity 200, HOSTS, HOTS, Success for All, etc.
- Comprehensive School Improvement Initiative includes Accelerated Schools, Coalition of Essential Schools, The Development Studies Center, The Con Edison Project, Effective Schools, etc.
- Teacher Training and Staff Development Initiative includes C-STARS, the National Writing Project, Reading Recovery, Teach for America, Teachers Network/Impact II, etc.
- District, State, and National Systemic Initiative includes Center for Educational Renewal, Center for Leadership in School Reform, The League of Professional Schools, The Institute for Urban and Minority Education, etc.