Discourse and Digital Practices shows how tools from discourse analysis can be used to help us understand new communication practices associated with digital media, from video gaming and social networking to apps and photo sharing.
This cutting-edge book:
- draws together fourteen eminent scholars in the field including James Paul Gee, David Barton, Ilana Snyder, Phil Benson, Victoria Carrington, Guy Merchant, Camilla Vasquez, Neil Selwyn and Rodney Jones
- answers the central question: "How does discourse analysis enable us to understand digital practices?"
- addresses a different type of digital media in each chapter
- demonstrates how digital practices and the associated new technologies challenge discourse analysts to adapt traditional analytic tools and formulate new theories and methodologies
- examines digital practices from a wide variety of approaches including textual analysis, conversation analysis, interactional sociolinguistics, multimodal discourse analysis, object ethnography, geosemiotics, and critical discourse analysis.
Discourse and Digital Practices will be of interest to advanced students studying courses on digital literacies or language and digital practices.
Chapter 1 Introduction: Discourse Analysis and Digital Practices
Rodney H. Jones, Alice Chik, Christoph A. Hafner
Chapter 2 Discourse Analysis of Games
James Paul Gee
Chapter 3 Discourse, Cybernetics, and the Entextualization of the Self
Rodney H. Jones
Chapter 4 Tagging on Flickr as a Social Practice
Chapter 5 Intertextuality and Interdiscursivity in Online Consumer Reviews
Chapter 6 YouTube as Text: Spoken Interaction Analysis and Digital Discourse
Chapter 7 Co-constructing Identity in Virtual Worlds for Children
Christoph A. Hafner
Chapter 8 Recreational Language Learning and Digital Practices: Positioning and Repositioning
Chapter 9 Investigating Digital Sex-Talk Practices: A Reflection on Corpus-Assisted Discourse Analysis
Chapter 10 Apps, Adults and Young Children: Researching Digital Literacy Practices in Context
Chapter 11 ‘It’s Changed My Life’: iPhone as Technological Artefact
Chapter 12 Digital Discourse@Public Space: Flows of Language Online and Offline
Chapter 13 The Discourse of Celebrity in the Fanvid Ecology of Club Penguin Machinima
Chapter 14 Discourse of ‘Curation’ in Digital Times
Chapter 15 The Discursive Construction of Education in the Digital Age