Diversity Resistance in Organizations
This new volume revisits diversity resistance 10 years later, examining the fluidity of diversity resistance in workplaces. Top-notch contributors provide insight about the motivations to resist diversity and inclusion as well as offer strategies for preventing and derailing diversity resistance and enhancing inclusion in organizations.
The current edition broadens the conversation about diversity resistance by demonstrating methods of counter-resistance and how diversity resistance manifests in everyday lives, as well as how it presents itself and limits the careers and lives of various stigmatized groups. Chapters also consider why, despite the often expressed value for diversity and inclusion, diversity resistance continues to persist. Contributors demonstrate the persistence of diversity resistance across time, context and for a variety of targets. For example, this volume addresses topics as well as marginalized groups not previously discussed in the first edition such as intersectionality, workers living with mental illness, gender identity, trans workers and the systemic resistance experienced by gay couples.
This volume will be of interest to scholars and practitioners as well as minoritized workers. It will function as a framework for understanding the continuum of exclusion, harassment and discrimination that occurs within organizational settings and the impact upon individual and organizational performance. Practitioners will find examples and cases for how diversity resistance manifests, but more importantly strategies and recommendations for derailing diversity resistance and enhancing inclusion.
1. Diversity performance, social surveillance and rescinding human rights: Understanding the health outcomes of diversity resistance
Kecia M. Thomas, Justin A. Lavner, Zoe E. Johnston & Cambrilyn Scofield
2. Unapologetic Authentic Early Career Black Women: Challenging the Dominant Narrative
Danielle D. Dickens, Veronica Y. Womack
3. Sexuality Blindness: A New Frontier of Diversity Resistance
Oscar Holmes IV
4. Diversity Resistance and Gender Identity: How Far Have We Come and Where Do We Still Need to Go?
Katina Sawyer, Christian Thoroughgood
5. Stigma as Diversity Resistance to Employees with Mental Illness
Kayla Follmer, Kisha Jones
6. Diversity resistance redux: The nature and implications of dominant group threat for diversity and inclusion
Victoria C. Plaut, Celina A. Romano, Kyneshawau Hurd, Emily Goldstein
7. The Response to Social Justice Issues in Organizations as a form of Diversity Resistance
Enrica N. Ruggs, Karoline M. Summerville, Christopher K. Marshburn
8. Artful Avoidance: Initial Considerations for Measuring Diversity Resistance in Cultural Organizations
Brea M. Heidelberg
9. The Dance of Inclusion: New Ways of Moving With Resistance
Plácida V. Gallegos, Ilene C. Wasserman, & Bernardo M. Ferdman
10. African-American Professionals in Public Relations and the Greater Impacts
Candace P. Parrish, Janice Z. Gassam
"Political divisiveness, the rise of the alt-right movement and growing intolerance have infiltrated many organizations and the workplace. In this update, Dr. Thomas provides fresh insights and covers new grounds on present day resistance to diversity."
—Eddy Ng, James and Elizabeth Freeman Professor of Management, Bucknell University, U.S.A.