A concise introduction to the process which led to the division of Germany in 1949, and its unification in 1990, this book also explores the economic, social and cultural divisions between and east and west, which still exist in post-unification Germany.
Dividing and Uniting Germany covers all important aspects of the subject including:
- the role of the allies in the post-war division of the country
- the integration of West and East Germany into their respective blocs
- the problems of integrating east and west after 1990
- Germany's Nazi and socialist past.
Table of Contents
1. The State of the Nation 2. The Division of Germany 3. The Two German States: Realities and Images 4. The Intervening Years: Long-Term Factors in Change 5. The Events of 1989/1990 6. Unification? 7. Coming to Terms with the Past 8. Germany into the New Millenium