Extensive coverage of the political, economic and social affairs of the region.
This impartial up-to-date survey of the countries and territories that make up the region includes:
* Over 600 pages of current political, economic and social affairs
* Incisive analysis by acknowledged experts
* The latest statistics on the major economic indicators and population
* Invaluable directory material.
* Leading authorities on the region analyse topics of regional importance including: Militant Islam in Central Asia and the Caucasus; The Economics of the Commonwealth of Independent States; Russia's New Federalism; Trends in Religious Policy and Organized Crime in the Russian Federation and the CIS.
* Individual chapters on each country containing - Articles on physical and social geography; a chronology; invaluable names, addresses, e-mail and internet addresses and further background information on the Constitution, national and local government, diplomatic representation, the judicial system, religion, the press, publishers, broadcasting and communications, finance, trade and industry, tourism, culture, the environment, education and defence.
* Biographical details on the leading figures in the region.
* Detailed information on the following: regional organizations; research institutes; a select periodicals bibliography and a select books bibliography.