In this innovative series Education Write Now, ten of education’s most inspiring thought-leaders meet for a three-day retreat to think and write collaboratively, and then bring you the top takeaways you need right now to improve your school or classroom.
This third volume, edited by Jeffrey Zoul and Sanée Bell, focuses on overcoming common problems in your classroom or school. There are many challenges we face as educators, no matter what kind of district or building we work in. The authors provide practical, insightful solutions and inspiring stories to motivate you on your journey, so you can get past the roadblocks and focus on what matters most—bringing all students to success.
- Sustaining Joy (Lynell Powell)
- Breaking Free from Isolation (Rachelle Dene Poth)
- Broadening Our Definition of Literacy (Jennifer Casa-Todd)
- Making Libraries Relevant (Josh Stumpenhorst)
- Developing Perseverance in Kids (David Geurin)
- Promoting Positive Student Behavior (Jeffrey Zoul)
- Connecting with Students of Color (Sanée Bell)
- Elevating Instructional Supervision (Ross Cooper)
- Shifting Professional Learning (Katie Martin)
- Maintaining Staff Morale (Danny Steele)
The royalties generated from this book will support the Will to Live Foundation, a nonprofit foundation working to prevent teen suicide.
Table of Contents
Meet the Authors
Part I Personal Challenges as a Teacher
1. Sustaining Joy (Lynell Powell)
2. Breaking Free From Isolation (Rachelle Dene Poth)
Challenges in Your Classroom
3. Broadening Our Definition of Literacy (Jennifer Casa-Todd)
4. Making Libraries Relevant (Josh Stumpenhorst)
5. Developing Perseverance in Kids (David Geurin)
6. Promoting Positive Student Behavior (Jeffrey Zoul)
7. Connecting With Students of Color (Sanée Bell)
Part III Challenges in Your School
8. Elevating Instructional Supervision (Ross Cooper)
9. Shifting Professional Learning From Compliance to Empowerment (Katie Martin)
10. Maintaining Staff Morale (Danny Steele)
Jeffrey Zoul (@jeff_zoul) is a lifelong teacher, learner, and leader. During Jeff’s distinguished career in education he has served in a variety of roles, most recently as assistant superintendent for Teaching and Learning with Deerfield Public Schools District 109 in Illinois. Jeff also served as a teacher and coach in Georgia before moving into school administration. He has authored many books, including What Connected Educators Do Differently.
Sanée Bell (@SaneeBell) is the principal of Morton Ranch Junior High in Katy, Texas. She has served as an administrator since 2005 at both the elementary and secondary levels. Sanée was recognized as the 2015 Katy ISD Elementary Principal of the Year. She has presented at conferences at the local, state, national, and international level, and has written publications and several guest blog posts focused on leadership and its impact on students and teachers.