First published in 2009. Comprehensive in scope, this book, now in its fully updated second edition, takes an applications-oriented approach to electrical distribution systems. All critical aspects of power production, distribution, control, conversion and measurement are presented.
The authors place emphasis on real-world applications, examining electrical distribution and associated system operation from a user's or technician's point of view. The use of an ‘electrical power systems' model facilitates the reader's comprehensive understanding of electrical distribution, utilizing power distribution as a key starting point, and then applying that relationship to other important associated systems.
The final chapter of this new edition is re-focused to emphasize the economics of distribution systems, computer power requirements and current environmental considerations. The book provides a valuable desk reference for the working engineer, contractor or technician who needs a thorough application-based guide for finding the best solutions to today's electrical distribution challenges.
Table of Contents
1. Power System Fundamentals
2. Basics of Electrical Circuits
3. Power Relationships in Electrical Circuits
4. Electrical Power Production Systems
5. Power Distribution System Fundamentals
6. Conductors & Insulators in Electrical Distribution Systems
7. Power Distribution Equipment
8. Electrical Distribution Inside Buildings
9. Single Phase & Three Phase Distribution Systems
10. Distribution Considerations for Heating Systems
11. Control Devices Used with Distribution Systems
12. Power Measurement Equipment
13. Distribution System Considerations
Appendix A: Important Terms
Appendix B: Electrical Symbols
Appendix C: Trigonometry for Electrical Power Systems
Appendix D: Professional Organizations
Dale R. Patrick and Stephen W. Fardo