Designed to enhance the confidence, knowledge and skills needed to perform effectively in urgent or emergency situations that can occur in a hospital, at a birth centre or at home, this fully updated third edition provides an accessible resource for all practising midwives.
With contributions from highly experienced midwives, this practical handbook incorporates an all-new chapter on serious infections and continues to provide key, up-to-date information on high-risk medical and obstetric situations. It also covers relevant information on litigation and the conclusions arising from the reports from the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths.
Emergencies Around Childbirth is essential reading for practising and trainee midwives, and those who teach them.
Table of Contents
1. Professional Issues around Emergency Care Kate Nash
2. Maternal and neonatal Resuscitation Jenny Brewster
3. Antepartum Haemorrhage Luisa Acosta
4. Thromboembolism in Pregnancy Judy Bothamley
5. Pre-eclampsia and Associated Conditions Maureen Boyle
6. Malpresentations and Malpositions Ona Stewart
7. Umbilical Cord Prolapse Alison Meinel
8. Shoulder Dystocia Judith Robbins
9. Uterine Complications Marie Hall
10. Intrapartum and Primary Postpartum Haemorrhage Helen Crafter
11. Amniotic Fluid Embolism Maureen Boyle
12. Serious Infection Judy Bothamley and Maureen Boyle
13. Other Causes of Potential Maternal Collapse Andrea Aras-Payne
14. Psychological Considerations around Emergency Care Elizabeth Hallewell
Maureen Boyle is Senior Lecturer in Midwifery at the University of West London, UK.