This new Routledge collection brings together the major works on the many types of energy-storage technologies and systems, as well as their applications.
The energy-storage topics covered include battery storage, hydrogen energy storage, flywheel energy storage, compressed gas energy storage, pumped storage, magnetic storage, chemical storage, thermal energy storage, thermochemical energy storage, organic and biological energy storage, and others.
Included are categorizations and comparisons of the main energy-storage technologies. The collection addresses both existing and potential future energy-storage technologies and systems. Existing methods and technologies for energy storage are covered to ensure a sound understanding of the technology utilized today, whereas new techniques that are in development or undergoing research are evaluated to provide a good understanding of what lies at and beyond the state of the art.
Energy storage can be utilized in a wide range of applications, and these are also addressed. The types of applications considered range from utility and other electrical power systems, conventional and renewable power generation, and renewable energy sources, through to heat pumps, building heating and cooling and district energy systems.
The ability of energy storage to facilitate the efficient, effective, and economic operation of renewable energy systems is covered throughout the collection by, for example, focusing on using energy storage to improve solar- and wind-power systems and other renewable energy applications.
The utilization of energy storage in developed, as well as emerging, economies is also covered, to provide global coverage.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Types of Energy Storage
Electrochemical and Battery Energy Storage
1. Peter J. Hall and Euan J. Bain, ‘Energy-storage Technologies and Electricity Generation’, Energy Policy, 36, 2008, 4352–5.
2. G. Girishkumar, B. McCloskey, A. C. Luntz, S. Swanson, and W. Wilcke, ‘Lithium-air Battery: Promise and Challenges’, J. Phys. Chem. Lett, 1, 14, 2010, 2193–203.
3. Lei-Lei Zhang, Zhong-Li Wang, Dan Xu, Xin-Bo Zhang, and Li-Min Wang, ‘The Development and Challenges of Rechargeable Non-aqueous Lithium-air Batteries’, International Journal of Smart and Nano Materials, 4, 1, 2013, 27–46.
4. Pallavi Verma, Pascal Maire, and Petr Novák, ‘A Review of the Features and Analyses of the Solid Electrolyte Interphase in Li-ion Batteries’, Electrochimica Acta, 55, 2010, 6332–41.
5. Pawan Sharma and T. S. Bhatti, ‘A Review on Electrochemical Double-layer Capacitors’, Energy Conversion and Management, 51, 2010, 2901–12.
6. John R. Miller and Patrice Simon, ‘Electrochemical Capacitors for Energy Management’, Science Magazine, 321, 5889, 2008, 651–2.
7. Adam Z. Weber, Matthew M. Mench, Jeremy P. Meyers, Philip N. Ross, Jeffrey T. Gostick, and Qinghua Liu, ‘Redox Flow Batteries: A Review’, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 41, 10, 2011, 1137–64.
Thermal Energy Storage
8. Antoni Gil, Marc Medrano, Ingrid Martorell, Ana Lázaro, Pablo Dolado, Belén Zalba, and Luisa F. Cabeza, ‘State of the Art on High Temperature Thermal Energy Storage for Power Generation. Part 1—Concepts, Materials and Modellization’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14, 1, Jan. 2010, 31–55.
9. Francis Agyenim, Neil Hewitt, Philip Eames, and Mervyn Smyth, ‘A Review of Materials, Heat Transfer and Phase Change Problem Formulation for Latent Heat Thermal Energy Storage Systems (LHTESS)’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14, 2010, 615–28.
10. D. Rozanna, T. G. Chuah, A. Salmiah, Thomas S. Y. Choong, and M. Sa’ari, ‘Fatty Acids as Phase Change Materials (PCMs) for Thermal Energy Storage: A Review’, International Journal of Green Energy, 1, 4, 2005, 495–513.
11. Kun Sang Lee, ‘A Review on Concepts, Applications, and Models of Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage Systems’, Energies, 3, 6, 2010, 1320–34.
12. Amaya V. Novo, Joseba R. Bayon, Daniel Castro-Fresno, and Jorge Rodriguez-Hernandez, ‘Review of Seasonal Heat Storage in Large Basins: Water Tanks and Gravel-water Pits’, Applied Energy, 87, 2010, 390–7.
Thermochemical Energy Storage
13. Ali Haji Abedin and Marc A. Rosen, ‘A Critical Review of Thermochemical Energy Storage Systems’, The Open Renewable Energy Journal, 4, 2011, 42–6.
14. K. Edem N’Tsoukpoe, Hui Liu, Nolwenn Le Pierrès, and Lingai Luo, ‘A Review on Long-term Sorption Solar Energy Storage’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 9, 2009, 2385–96.
15. William C. Chueh, Christoph Falter, Mandy Abbott, Danien Scipio, Philipp Furler, Sossina M. Haile, and Aldo Steinfeld, ‘High-Flux Solar-Driven Thermochemical Dissociation of CO2 and H2O Using Nonstoichiometric Ceria’, Science, 330, 6012, 2010, 1797–801.
Flywheel Energy Storage
16. Bjorn Bolund, Hans Bernhoff, and Mats Leijon, ‘Flywheel Energy and Power Storage Systems’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 11, 2007, 235–58.
Compressed Air Energy Storage
17. Niklas Hartmann, O. Vöhringer, and C. Kruck, L. Eltrop, ‘Simulation and Analysis of Different Adiabatic Compressed Air Energy Storage Plant Configurations’, Applied Energy, 93, May 2012, 541–8.
18. Mandhapati Raju and Siddhartha Kumar Khaitan, ‘Modeling and Simulation of Compressed Air Storage in Caverns: A Case Study of the Huntorf Plant’, Applied Energy, 89, 2012, 474–81.
Pumped Energy Storage
19. Dimitris Al. Katsaprakakis, Dimitris G. Christakis, Arthouros Zervos, Dimitris Papantonis, and Spiros Voutsinas, ‘Pumped Storage Systems Introduction in Isolated Power Production Systems’, Renewable Energy, 33, 2008, 467–90.
20. J. P. Deane, B. P. Ó Gallachóir, and E. J. McKeogh, ‘Techno-economic Review of Existing and New Pumped Hydro Energy Storage Plant’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14, 2010, 1293–302.
21. Ahmadreza Vasel-Be-Hagha, Rupp Carriveaua, and David S.-K. Tinga, ‘Energy Storage Using Weights Hydraulically Lifted Above Ground’, International Journal of Environmental Studies, 70, 5, 2013, 792–9.
Magnetic Energy Storage
22. Mohd. Hasan Ali, Bin Wu, and Roger A. Dougal, ‘An Overview of SMES Applications in Power and Energy Systems’, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 1, 1, April 2010, 38–47.
Chemical and Hydrogen Energy Storage
23. Tasneem Abbasi and S. A. Abbasi, ‘"Renewable" Hydrogen: Prospects and Challenges’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15, 6, August 2011, 3034–40.
24. Ulrich Eberle, Michael Felderhoff, and Ferdi Schüth, ‘Chemical and Physical Solutions for Hydrogen Storage’, Chem. Int. Ed., 48, 2009, 6608–30.
25. M. Hosseini, I. Dincer, G. F. Naterer, and M. A. Rosen, ‘Thermodynamic Analysis of Filling Compressed Gaseous Hydrogen Storage Tanks’, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 37, 6, 2012, 5063–71.
Part 2: Applications of Energy Storage
26. Atul Sharma, V.V. Tyagi, C. R. Chen, and D. Buddhi, ‘Review on Thermal Energy Storage with Phase Change Materials and Applications’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 2009, 318–45.
27. Haichang Liu and Jihai Jiang, ‘Flywheel Energy Storage: An Upswing Technology for Energy Sustainability’, Energy and Buildings, 39, 2007, 599–604.
28. R. Hall, Junzhe Wang, and Riccardo Isola, ‘Enhancing Thermal Properties of Asphalt Materials for Heat Storage and Transfer Applications’, Road Materials and Pavement Design, 13, 4, 2012, 784–803.
29. Sergio Vazquez, Srdjan M. Lukic, Eduardo Galvan, Leopoldo G. Franquelo, and Juan M. Carrasco, ‘Energy Storage Systems for Transport and Grid Applications’, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 57, 12, 2010, 3881–95.
30. Bradford P. Roberts and Chet Sandberg, ‘The Role of Energy Storage in Development of Smart Grids’, Proceedings of the IEEE, 99, 6, 2011, 1139–44.
31. Zhenguo Yang, Jianlu Zhang, Michael C. W. Kintner-Meyer, Xiaochuan Lu, Daiwon Choi, John P. Lemmon, and Jun Liu, ‘Electrochemical Energy Storage for Green Grid’, Chemical Reviews, 111, 5, 2011, 3577–613.
Renewable Energy Utilization
32. Marc Beaudin, Hamidreza Zareipour, Anthony Schellenberglabe, and William Rosehart, ‘Energy Storage for Mitigating the Variability of Renewable Electricity Sources: An Updated Review’, Energy for Sustainable Development, 14, 2010, 302–14.
33. T. V. Arjunan, H. S. Aybar, P. Sadagopan, B. Sarat Chandran, S. Neelakrishnan, and N. Nedunchezhian, ‘The Effect of Energy Storage Materials on the Performance of a Simple Solar Still’, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 36, 2, 2014, 131–41.
34. Ashish Agrawal and R. M. Sarviya, ‘A Review of Research and Development Work on Solar Dryers with Heat Storage’, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 2014.
35. Francisco Díaz-González, Andreas Sumper, Oriol Gomis-Bellmunt, and Roberto Villafáfila-Robles, ‘A Review of Energy Storage Technologies for Wind Power Applications’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16, 2012, 2154–71.
36. James Konrad, Rupp Carriveau, Matt Davison, Frank Simpson, and David S.-K. Ting, ‘Geological Compressed Air Energy Storage as an Enabling Technology for Renewable Energy in Ontario, Canada’, International Journal of Environmental Studies, 69, 2, 2012, 350–9.
37. Bahtiyar Dursun and Bora Alboyaci, ‘The Contribution of Wind-hydro Pumped Storage Systems in Meeting Turkey’s Electric Energy Demand’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14, 7, September 2010, 1979–88.
38. I. Baniasad Askari and M. Ameri, ‘Techno-economic Feasibility Analysis of Stand-alone Renewable Energy Systems (PV/bat, Wind/bat and Hybrid PV/wind/bat) in Kerman, Iran’, Energy Sources, Part B: Economics, Planning, and Policy, 2012, 7, 1, 45–60.
39. A. H. Al-Badia, ‘Pre-feasibility Study of Stand-alone Hybrid Energy Systems for Applications in Eco-houses’, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, 6, 1, 2013, 48–54.
Buildings and Communities
40. Mohamed Abdel-Wahab and Dallia Ali, ‘A Conceptual Framework for the Evaluation of Fuel-Cell Energy Systems in the Uk Built Environment’, International Journal of Green Energy, 10, 2, 2013, 137–50.
41. Georgi K. Pavlov and Bjarne W. Olesen, ‘Thermal Energy Storage—A Review of Concepts and Systems for Heating and Cooling Applications in Buildings: Part 1—Seasonal Storage in the Ground’, HVAC&R Research, 18, 3, 2012, 515–38.
42. Patrice Pinel, Cynthia A. Cruickshank, Ian Beausoleil-Morrison, and Adam Wills, ‘A Review of Available Methods for Seasonal Storage of Solar Thermal Energy in Residential Applications’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15, 2011, 3341–59.
43. Vincent Basecq, Ghislain Michaux, Christian Inard, and Patrice Blondeau, ‘Short-term Storage Systems of Thermal Energy for Buildings: A Review’, Advances in Building Energy Research, 7, 1, 2013, 66–119.
44. A. J. Marszal, P. Heiselberg, J. S. Bourrelle, E. Musall, K. Voss, I. Sartori, and A. Napolitano, ‘Zero Energy Building: A Review of Definitions and Calculation Methodologies’, Energy and Buildings, 43, 4, 2011, 971–9.
45. Alireza Khaligh and Zhihao Li, ‘Battery, Ultracapacitor, Fuel Cell, and Hybrid Energy Storage Systems for Electric, Hybrid Electric, Fuel Cell, and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles: State of the Art’, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 59, 6, 2010, 2806–14.
46. Shaik Amjad, S. Neelakrishnan, and R. Rudramoorthy, ‘Review of Design Considerations and Technological Challenges for Successful Development and Deployment of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14, 2010, 1104–10.
Part 3: Categorizations and Comparisons of Energy Storages
47. H. Ibrahim, A. Ilinca, and J. Perron, ‘Energy Storage Systems—Characteristics and Comparisons’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 12, 5, 2008, 1221–50.
48. Ioannis Hadjipaschalis, Andreas Poullikkas, and Venizelos Efthimiou, ‘Overview of Current and Future Energy Storage Technologies for Electric Power Applications’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 6–7, August–September 2009, 1513–22.
49. J. K. Kaldellis, D. Zafirakis, K. Kavadias, ‘Techno-economic Comparison of Energy Storage Systems for Island Autonomous Electrical Networks’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 2009, 378–92.
50. Annette Evans, Vladimir Strezov, and Tim J. Evans, ‘Assessment of Utility Energy Storage Options for Increased Renewable Energy Penetration’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16, 2012, 4141–7.
51. K. S. Gandhi, ‘Storage of Electrical Energy’, Indian Chemical Engineer, 52, 1, 2010, 57–75.
52. Chang Liu, Feng Li, Lai-Peng Ma, and Hui-Ming Cheng, ‘Advanced Materials for Energy Storage’, Advanced Materials, 22, 8, 2010, E28–E62.
53. Yury Gogotsi and Patrice Simon, ‘True Performance Metrics in Electrochemical Energy Storage’, Science Magazine, 334, 2011, 917–18.
54. Henrik Lund, Georges Salgi, ‘The Role of Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) in Future Sustainable Energy Systems’, Energy Conversion and Management, 50, 2009, 1172–9.
55. Scott B. Peterson, J. F. Whitacre, and Jay Apta, ‘The Economics of Using Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Packs for Grid Storage’, Journal of Power Sources, 195, 2010, 2377–84.
56. Liliana E. Benitez, Pablo C. Benitez, and G. Cornelis van Kooten, ‘The Economics of Wind Power with Energy Storage’, Energy Economics, 30, 2008, 1973–89.
Part 4: Research on Energy Storage
New Types of Energy Storage
57. J. Cao, A. Emadi, and J. Cao, A. Emadi, ‘A New Battery/UltraCapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System for Electric, Hybrid, and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles’, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 27, 1, 2012, 122–32.
58. Pai Lu, Dongfeng Xue, Hong Yang, and Yinong Liu, ‘Supercapacitor and Nanoscale Research Towards Electrochemical Energy Storage’, International Journal of Smart and Nano Materials, 4, 1, 2013, 2–26.
59. Brian Huskinson, Michael P. Marshak, Changwon Suh, Süleyman Er, Michael R. Gerhardt, Cooper J. Galvin, Xudong Chen, Alán Aspuru-Guzik, Roy G. Gordon, and Michael J. Aziz, ‘A Metal-free Organic–inorganic Aqueous Flow Battery’, Nature, 505, 2014, 195–8.
60. Mohammed Harun Chakrabarti, Edward Pelham Lindfield Roberts, and Muhammad Saleem, ‘Charge–Discharge Performance of a Novel Undivided Redox Flow Battery for Renewable Energy Storage’, International Journal of Green Energy, 2010, 7, 4, 445–60.
61. Robert E. Blankenship, David M. Tiede, James Barber, Gary W. Brudvig, Graham Fleming, Maria Ghirardi, M. R. Gunner, Wolfgang Junge, David M. Kramer, Anastasios Melis, Thomas A. Moore, Christopher C. Moser, Daniel G. Nocera, Arthur J. Nozik, Donald R. Ort, William W. Parson, Roger C. Prince, and Richard T. Sayre, ‘Comparing Photosynthetic and Photovoltaic Efficiencies and Recognizing the Potential for Improvement’, Science, 332, 6031, 2011, 805–9.
62. J. M. Bermúdez, E. Ruisánchez, A. Arenillas, A. H. Moreno, and J. A. Menéndez, ‘New Concept for Energy Storage: Microwave-induced Carbon Gasification with CO2’, Energy Conversion and Management, 78, 2014, 559–64.
63. K. Hacatoglu, I. Dincer, and M. A. Rosen, ‘Exergy Analysis of a Hybrid Solar Hydrogen System with Activated Carbon Storage’, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 36, 5, 2011, 3273–82.
Advances and Developments in Energy Storage
64. J.-M. Tarascon, ‘Key Challenges in Future Li-battery Research’, Philosophical Transactions: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 368, 1923, 2010, 3227–41.
65. Yingwen Cheng and Jie Liu, ‘Carbon Nanomaterials for Flexible Energy Storage’, Materials Research Letters, 1, 4, 2013, 175–92.
66. Wei Wang, Qingtao Luo, Bin Li, Xiaoliang Wei, Liyu Li, and Zhenguo Yang, ‘Recent Progress in Redox Flow Battery Research and Development’, Adv. Funct. Mater, 23, 2013, 970–86.
67. Frank E. Osterloha and Bruce A. Parkinsona, ‘Recent Developments in Solar Water-splitting Photocatalysis’, MRS Bulletin, 36, 1, January 2011, 17–22.