Engaged, Connected, Empowered
Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century
This reader-friendly book offers practical strategies and digital resources that will help K–12 students succeed in the 21st century. You will learn how to teach students to collaborate and make connections, filter primary source information, create products to demonstrate learning, develop a digital toolkit, and more!
- Digital resources are included to help you implement the ideas in this book.
- Personal anecdotes are provided from the authors’ own successes and failures using technology.
- The book is organized by topic, so you can skip around and read or reread the parts that are relevant to you.
- The authors provide suggestions for teachers at different comfort levels with technology--novice, intermediate, and expert.
- The book’s accompanying Facebook page includes additional content and links to complement the book (http://facebook.com/EngagedConnectedEmpowered).
Table of Contents
Shift 1: Consumption Versus Production
Chapter 1: An Introduction
Chapter 2: Implementation
Chapter 3: Anecdotes
Shift 2: Localized Versus Global
Chapter 4: An Introduction
Chapter 5: Implementation
Chapter 6: Anecdotes
Shift 3: Searching Versus Filtering
Chapter 7: An Introduction
Chapter 8: Implementation
Chapter 9: Anecdotes
Shift 4: Standardized Versus Student Centered
Chapter 10: An Introduction
Chapter 11: Implementation
Chapter 12: Anecdotes
Shift 5: Isolated Versus Connected
Chapter 13: An Introduction
Chapter 14: Implementation
Chapter 15: Anecdotes
Ben Curran is a co-founder of Engaging Educators, a company that helps teachers engage students in meaningful learning experiences. He is a former classroom teacher and current instructional coach.
Neil Wetherbee is a co-founder of Engaging Educators and a current elementary school classroom teacher.
"Ben Curran and Neil Wetherbee have provided thoughtful and important advice to teachers throughout the world—including to me—through their articles and blog posts. We can now all benefit from seeing their ideas expanded and detailed in book form!"
—Larry Ferlazzo, award-winning teacher, blogger, and author of Helping Students Motivate Themselves
"Ben and Neil are practicing educators with real insights for teachers. Any classroom can move to the 21st century with the helpful guidance in this book."
—Vicki Davis, teacher and author of Reinventing Writing and the internationally recognized Cool Cat Teacher Blog