Engineered Rock Structures in Mining and Civil Construction
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
The book collates and sifts a vast amount of literature on the design of structures in the mining and construction industries to synthesize a comprehensive text on the subject area. The focus is on the application of theory to practice and the book is richly illustrated with worked out examples. The presentation is lucid and based on the extensive professional, teaching and research experience of the authors. The text seeks to address the key issues of design of 'engineered' structures in or on rock. The book will serve as a standard text for undergraduate courses in mining, civil engineering and engineering geology.
Table of Contents
1. Rock Characterisation for Rock Mechanics Design
2. Uniaxial Testing of Rock in Compression
3. Tensile, Triaxial and Shear Strength of Rock
4. Time-dependent Behaviour of Rocks
5. Index Properties of Rocks
6. Large-scale in situ Testing of Rock Mass
7. Evaluation of Rock Mass Parameters by Borehole Testing
8. Measurement of Stress in Rock
9. Design of Structures in Rock
10. Stability of Underground Openings by Mathematical Modelling
11. Design and Stability of Pillars and Associated Structures
12. Design and Stability of Rib Pillars and Chain Pillars in Longwall Mining
13. Structural Stability of Excavations in Jointed Rock
14. Supports in Mining and Tunnelling
15. Mining Subsidence
16. Stability Analysis of Surface Mining Slopes
17. Risk Analysis for Design in Geomechanics
About the Authors
Raghu N. Singh was Professor of Mining Engineering at University of Wollongong, Australia from 1989 to 2004. He has a Ph.D and D.Sc in Mining Engineering, a Master of Engineering, and also a First Class Manager’s Certificate of Competency to manage coal mines in India and the U.K. He has some 44 years of experience with expertise in the area of rock mechanics, mine water, spontaneous combustion and environmental impact of mineral operations. He is author of some 250 technical and research papers, a book on fracture mechanics and another on mine water.
Ajoy K. Ghose, former Director of Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, is currently a Visiting Professorial Fellow at the University of Wollongong and also an Adjunct Professor at Bengal University of Engineering and Science. He was Professor of Mining Engineering between 1966 to 1991 at the Indian School of Mines and was instrumental in developing a strong school of rock mechanics and excavation engineering. He is a Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, a Foreign Member of the Academy of Mining Sciences of Russia, a Vice Chairman of World Mining Congress and a Past President of the Institution of Engineers (India). He is the author of over 350 technical and research publications and co-author of a monograph on "Environment-friendly Techniques of Rock Breaking".