Engineering Disease Resistance in Plants using CRISPR-Cas
CRISPR genome-editing technology presents opportunities to engineer disease resistance traits in plants and improve crop quality. Engineering Disease Resistance in Plants using CRISPR-Cas introduces readers to the basics of CRISPR-Cas and discusses its potential uses in various fields. The book focuses on methods of developing disease-resistant crops using CRISPR-Cas–mediated plant disease resistance modification.
Comprehensively written, the author details all types and variants of the CRISPR toolkit. The book opens with information on the evolution of the CRISPR technology and follows a chronology of its development. Although the book concentrates on the use of CRISPR-Cas for disease resistance in plants, it also covers the technology's broader potential examining the history and development of other genome-editing tools.
- Investigates the regulatory, ethical, and societal considerations while designing experiments.
- Discusses topics on disease development, control, and plant defense mechanisms.
- Examines genome-editing tools including Zinc Finger Nucleases (ZFNs) and Transcription Activator-Like Effector Nucleases (TALENs).
- Examines production technology to reduce bacterial, fungal, and viral diseases.
- Provides information for users to discover ways to overcome the challenges associated with food security.
This book is a valuable resource for researchers, scientists, and undergraduate and graduate students who wish to gain a comprehensive understanding of genome-editing methods.
Chapter 01 History and Development of CRISPR/Cas: A Bacterial Defense System
Chapter 02 Plant Defense and Disease Resistance Mechanisms
Chapter 03 CRISPR/Cas: An Arsenal against Plant Diseases
Chapter 04 Methods for Designing Disease-resistant Plants using CRISPR Technology
Chapter 05 Developments in plant viral resistance using the CRISPR/Cas system
Chapter 06 Utilizing CRISPR/ Cas System to Develop Resistance Against Bacterial Diseases
Chapter 07 CRISPR/Cas 9 System to Combat Plant Fungal Infections
Chapter 08 Bioethics and Risk Assessment of CRISPR Edited Crops