* helps users to understand grammatical concepts
* encourages the reader to practise applying newly discovered concepts to everyday texts
* teaches students to analyze almost every word in any English text
* provides teachers and students with a firm grounding in a system which they can both understand and apply.
'I found this neat workbook challenging, often puzzling, ultimately rewarding. A fresh broom making short shrift of my cobwebs! I see English grammar now in a new way. Hudson is refreshing in his indifference to ancient taboos, of split infinitives and the like. This is a stimulating book for practical class teaching and for use by individuals. It is recommended for lending stock.' - Language & Literature
1. Word-classes: nouns and verbs 2. Noun expansions: heads, dependents and adjectives 3.Linking words: prepositions and coordinators 4.Subclassification: pronouns, determiners and other nouns 5. Verb expansions: subjects, objects, 'sharers' and adverbs 6. Verb chains: auxiliary and full verbs and finiteness 7. Fancy verb chains: to , that, not and clauses 8. Subordinate clause clues 9. Subordinate clause uses 10.Sentence and information: it, there, apposition and punctuation
Routledge Language Workbooks provide absolute beginners with practical introductions to core areas of language study. Books in the series provide comprehensive coverage of the area as well as a basis for further investigation. Each Language Workbook guides the reader through the subject using 'hands-on' language analysis, equipping them with the basic analytical skills needed to handle a wide range of data. Written in a clear and simple style, with all technical concepts fully explained, Language Workbooks can be used for independent study or as part of a taught class. Language Workbooks: