Equity and Trusts: A Problem-Based Approach creates a fresh approach to learning through the use of integrated realistic case studies designed to simulate how the law works in practice. With comprehensive coverage of the complete equity and trusts curriculum, unlike other textbooks, it integrates a thorough exposition of the legal rules with applied problem-solving opportunities, highlighting the legal issues and providing essential context for the law.
The book’s goal is to familiarise students with a more active and practical approach to equity and trusts that will deepen their knowledge and understanding. Written in a clear and concise style but without sacrificing detail or analysis, Judith Riches not only provides students with a full and wide-ranging account of the law, but also helps them to develop the analytical and problem-solving skills they will need to succeed in their studies and beyond. Key features include:
- Case studies at the start of each chapter provide real-world context to each topic and help to familiarise readers with the legal language and style they will encounter
- Apply Your Learning boxes invite students to reflect and consolidate on the content covered in order to apply the law back to the case study
- Consider This boxes present variations to the case studies and alternative scenarios to challenge students to take their application of the law to the next level
- Key Cases and Statutes boxes reinforce the essential role of cases and legislation in the development and application of land law and help students identify key sources of legal authority for revision purposes
- Tutor Tips highlight important issues and opportunities to impress tutors and examiners without interrupting the flow of the text
Table of Contents
Introduction 1. Introduction to Equity & Trusts 2. The Three Certainties and Capacity 3. The Statutory Formalities 4. The Consitution of Trusts 5. Secret Trusts and Mutual Wills 6. Protective Trusts, Discretionary Trusts and Powers 7. Resulting Trusts 8. Constructive Trusts 9. Trusts and the Family Home 10. Trusts Which Contravene the Law 11. Private Purpose Trusts 12. Charitable Trusts 13. Trusteeship 14. The Duties of Trustees 15. Trustee’s Powers 16. Variation of Trusts 17. Breach of Trust 18. Bringing it all Together
Judith Riches has had 25 years’ experience teaching Equity and Trusts at both undergraduate and postgraduate level as Senior Lecturer at the University of Brighton.
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.