Essentials of Safety
Maintaining the Balance
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after September 27, 2021
This reference text introduces grand unified theory of safety as interrelationships, integration, merging, melding and intermingling of the thirteen attributes.
The text discusses set of individual characteristics, distinctions, attributes or traits that can permeate through the workforce at all levels including the individual, leaders and leadership, the systems we use and the culture of the workplace. It will help individuals and leaders at all levels in an organization, to set up work, procedures, systems, behaviors, practices, processes and routines. It will further enhance workplace culture to manifest, great systems will be developed, leaders’ behaviors will emerge, and individuals will thrive.
Aimed at students, researchers and professionals in the fields of ergonomics, human factors, industrial engineering, occupational health and safety, this text:
- Presents detailed focus on what a leader can do, regardless of the level of the leader.
- Covers remedies for barriers to enabling characteristics to shine.
- Discusses both quantitative and qualitative measures for the characteristics.
- Explores the why, what and how of learnable traits and characteristics of individuals-as-leaders.
Table of Contents
1. The Essentials of Safety Elements. 2. Leaders’ perspectives – practices and routines. 3. Barriers and their remedies. 4. The Essentials of Safety as a driver of learning. 5. Assessing and Measuring success. 6. Conclusion. 7. Bibliography. 8. Acknowledgements.
Ian Long has a degree in Science and post grad studies in Occupational Hygiene. After some 18 years working in various industries and roles, he has worked predominantly in the minerals extraction and processing industry. During this last 25 years, he has worked in Oil and Gas, Chemical industries and semi-Government industries. He held roles ranging from Safety Advisor though to Vice President of Health, Safety and Environment within BHP. He now runs his own company, Raeda Consulting, providing mentoring, coaching and training in leadership and in incident investigations around the world. He has also facilitated many serious workplace incident investigations. His purpose in life, his ‘Why’, is to share ideas, concepts and practicalities in safety and leadership with as many people as will listen, so that people start to think differently and positively about the why, what and how of the things they do in both leadership and safety. Essentials of Safety is his second published book. The first being Simplicity in Safety Investigations. This was published by Routledge in 2017.