Thoroughly updated, this extensive reference source provides in-depth information on all matters relating to the European Union (EU): the financial crisis affecting the euro area is covered in depth, including details of recent developments such as the EU’s new emergency funding mechanisms and the negotiation of a new ‘fiscal compact’; progress regarding the future expansion of the Union is addressed; and the EU’s legal and social frameworks and external relations are discussed.
- an up-to date chronology of the EU from 1947 to present
- an A-Z section contains definitions and explanations of organizations, acronyms and terms, and articles on each member state. Comprising over 1,000 entries, terms listed include: Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union; General Court; Europol; European Capital of Culture; regional policy; and Single Euro Payments Area
- introductory articles written by experts on the EU provide an overall view of the policies and activities of the EU. Essay subjects include: the euro crisis; EU defence policy; enlargement; and migration and asylum policy
- a directory of key names, addresses, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and internet addresses of all major European Union institutions and their official bodies. This information is supplemented by summaries of important treaties; details of information sources in the EU; and details of EU-level trade and professional associations. Users will also find details of MEPs and the political groups and national parties contributing to the European Parliament
- a statistical survey gives tables covering: population, employment, agriculture, energy and mining, industry, finance, trade, transport and communications, tourism, health and welfare, and education across the EU
This title will prove valuable to academic and public libraries, politicians and government agencies and the media, as well as to all those in need of accurate and reliable information on the European Union.