Thoroughly updated, this extensive reference source provides in-depth information on all matters relating to the European Union (EU): the financial crisis affecting the eurozone is covered in depth, including details of recent developments; progress regarding the recent and future expansion of the Union is addressed; and the EU’s legal and social frameworks, the environment and external relations are discussed.
- an up-to date chronology of the EU from 1947 to present
- an A-Z section contains definitions and explanations of organizations, acronyms and terms, and articles on each member state. Comprising over 1,000 entries, terms listed include: Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union; General Court; Europol; Erasmus+; the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund; and the European System of Financial Supervision
- introductory articles written by experts on the EU provide an overview of the policies and activities of the EU. Essay subjects include: the euro crisis; the future of the EU; enlargement; and migration and asylum policy
- a directory of principal names, addresses, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and internet addresses of all major European Union institutions and their official bodies. This information is supplemented by summaries of important treaties; details of information sources in the EU; and details of EU-level trade and professional associations. Users will also find details of MEPs and the political groups and national parties contributing to the European Parliament elected in 2014
- a statistical survey gives tables covering: population, employment, agriculture, energy and mining, industry, environment, finance, trade, transport and communications, tourism, health and welfare, and education across the EU
This title will prove valuable to academic and public libraries, politicians and government agencies and the media, as well as to all those in need of accurate and reliable information on the European Union.
Table of Contents
A- Z of the European Union Essays on the European Union The Legal Framework of the European Union Rose M. D'Sa The Crisis in the Eurozone David Lea The Future of the European Union Juliet Lodge European Union Enlargement: To 28 ... and Beyond David Phinnemore The Social Framework of the European Union Emil J. Kirchner The External Relations of the European Union Michael Smith Migration and Asylum Policy Andrew Geddes European Union Environmental Policy Susan Baker Directory of the European Union Council of the European Union European Council European Commission European External Action Service (EEAS) European Parliament European Court of Auditors European Economic and Social Committee Committee of the Regions European Investment Bank (EIB) European Central Bank (ECB) European Ombudsman The EU's Other Agencies Treaties EU-Level Trade and Professional Associations Statistical Survey of the European Union Population Labour Health and Welfare Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Energy Industry Distribution Finance Prices and Earnings National Accounts Balance of Payments External Trade Transport Communications Tourism Education
Europa publications have long been regarded as premier reference resources, providing authoritative political and economic data for every country and region of the world, biographical profiles of the most influential global figures in every field, including politics, science, business, academia, the arts and the media, and unrivalled access to information on universities, libraries and other academic institutions world-wide.
Available in print and online, Europa's principal titles, The Europa World Year Book,The Europa Regional Surveys of the World, The International Who's Who and The Europa World of Learning, serve the contemporary research needs of students, academics and information-seekers in specialist and general reference libraries, government offices and commercial institutions in every country.
‘.. a useful, indeed exhaustively comprehensive collection of European official facts and figures, this book is strongly recommended.’ – Reference Review
‘An excellent one-stop resource.’ – Library Journal
‘The Work is comprehensive in scope, authoritatively based, and usefully detailed. Highly recommended.’ – International Affairs