Evaluating the Local Impacts of the Rio Olympics
This book evaluates the local impacts and legacies of the Olympics in Rio by comparing Rio2016 with other Olympic experiences and evaluating the ways in which the Games served the city.
The 2016 Rio Olympic Games took place in a scenario of enormous economic challenges and persistent inequalities. In contrast to all previous Olympic experiences, Brazil faced its worst economic recession ever recorded during the preparation phase for the Games. In addition to the national crisis, falling oil prices and corruption scandals fuelled the State of Rio’s economic downfall. This book specifically assesses the relative social performance of Rio’s city population with respect to control groups; covers traditional aspects of the Games' legacy such as tourism, infrastructure and sports practice; includes ordinary day-by-day aspects of the city’s life, such as education, employment and housing; and scrutinizes critical areas such as urban mobility, gentrification and Guanabara Bay’s pollution.
This thorough analysis offers readers further understanding on assessing the impacts and legacies of the Olympic experience. It will be of great interest to upper-level students and academics of tourism, hospitality and events management.
Part I: Setting the Olympic Stage: Global and Local Perspectives
- Participation Legacy and the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- An Urbanistic View of Rio2016: Aspiration, Planning and Legacy
- Population’s Perceptions of the Games
- Olympic Social Changes: Local Transformations before and after Rio2016
- Population´s Perceptions on Public Policies
- Fiscal Impact of the Rio Olympics
- Employment and Wages Evolution of the core Olympics Economic Sectors Marcelo Neri, Manuel Osorio and Luisa Melo
- Changing Consumption Patterns? Sports Practice, Tourism and Recreation
- Paralympic City? Assessing Employment Quotas and Disabilities
- Transport Legacy of Mega-Events and Inequalities in Access to Opportunities in Rio de Janeiro
- Population’s Perceptions on Urban Mobility Impacts
- Legacy of the Olympic Games for the Guanabara Bay
- Rio Slums Removal: What is the Olympic Urban Legacy?
- Evidencing the Impacts of the Olympic Games - The View from London 2012
- Exchanges of Experiences during the Olympic Cycle Marcelo Neri and Manuel Osorio
- Past and Future of Rio City and Main Conclusions on the Games' Impact
Viviane Bittencourt, Aloisio Campelo and Marcelo Neri
Part II: Broad View of Impacts
Marcelo Neri, Samanta Monte and Manuel Osorio
Marcelo Neri, Aloisio Campelo and Viviane Bittencourt
Marcelo Neri and Manuel Osorio
Marcelo Neri, Luisa Melo and Manuel Osorio
Part III: Evaluating Sectoral Legacies
Aloisio Campelo, Viviane Bittencourt and Marcelo Neri
Part IV: Post-Rio2016 Challenges: Olympic Legacy Management
Allan Brimicombe and Yang Li
Marcelo Neri, Marcos Hecksher and Manuel Osorio