Trauma, trauma-related disorders, substance use, and addictive disorders often co-occur, and frequently play a role in the problems and issues that social workers contend with in their practice with individuals, families, and communities. Research shows that there is a relationship between trauma-related symptoms and problematic use of substances and other addictive behaviors. Individuals who experience these co-occurring problems have better outcomes when their issues are addressed with integrated treatment approaches. Trauma-informed care and trauma-specific treatment are therefore important components of effective social work interventions.
This book examines various types of trauma, such as intergenerational trauma, adverse childhood events, childhood sexual abuse, and minority stress, amongst various populations and settings, including Native Americans, homeless youth, drug court participants, and LGB adolescents. It also explores the challenges in delivering trauma services in outpatient addiction treatment settings. Furthermore, it provides practical information on how to implement trauma-informed approaches in addiction treatment, and offers insights into the experience of a trauma survivor who is also recovering from a substance use disorder.
This book was originally published as a special issue of the Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions.
1. Introduction: Examining the Relationship Between Trauma and Addiction Shelly A. Wiechelt and Shulamith Lala A. Straussner
2. Intergenerational Trauma Among Substance-Using Native American, Latina, and White Mothers Living in the Southwestern United States Sally Stevens, Rosi Andrade, Josephine Korchmaros, and Kelly Sharron
3. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Gambling: Results From a National Survey Anjalee Sharma and Paul Sacco
4. The Effects of Childhood Sexual Abuse and Other Trauma on Drug Court Participants Molly R. Wolf, Thomas H. Nochajski, and Hon. Mark G. Farrell
5. Factors Associated With Substance Use Disorders Among Traumatized Homeless Youth Sanna J. Thompson, Kimberly Bender, Kristin M. Ferguson, and Yeonwoo Kim
6. Traumatic Experiences and Drug Use by LGB Adolescents: A Critical Review of Minority Stress Jeremy Goldbach, Benjamin W. Fisher, and Shannon Dunlap
7. Factors Related to the Delivery of Trauma Services in Outpatient Treatment Programs Joseph J. Shields, Peter J. Delany, and Kelley E. Smith
8. Trauma-Informed Care and Addiction Recovery: An Interview With Nancy J. Smyth, PhD, LCSW Interview Conducted by Lori Holleran Steiker
9. A Place in the World Kimberly D. Honaker