The Familiar Past surveys material culture from 1500 to the present day. Fourteen case studies, grouped under related topics, include discussion of issues such as:
* the origins of modernity in urban contexts
* the historical anthropology of food
* the social and spatial construction of country houses
* the social history of a workhouse site
* changes in memorial forms and inscriptions
* the archaeological treatment of gardens.
The Familiar Past has been structured as a teaching text and will be useful to students of history and archaeology.
Sarah Tarlow is Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Wales, Lampeter. Susie West is the Managing Editor of East Anglian Archaeology at the University of East Anglia.