"Shuker and Levinson give us a scholarly and comprehensive annotated bibliography of female psychology and development, which will be the indispensible research tool and reference work for mental health practitioners and academics for years to come. Their labor of love has produced amazing work, one that details a broad sweep of female development and psychological life"
- Ethel S. Person, M.D.
"This comprehensive, well-organized annotated guide to the voluminous psychoanalytic literature on the psychology of women couldn't come at a better time. It makes a definite contribution to those engaged in scholarly or empirical research in an area of vital concern to all students of human nature and nurture. A welcome addition to our bookshelves."
- Roy Schafer, Ph.D.
"This timely book is far more than its modest title suggests. Schuker, Levenson, and their contributors have taken the entire psychoanalytic literature on female psychology, organized it according to historical period, developmental epoch, pathological entity, and area of controversy and then provided introductions to each topic and wonderfully concise summaries of each paper and book. It is an invaluable resource for everyone interested in modern psychoanalytic thought. The writing is clear and straightforward; the organization, superb. Everyone interested in the psychology of women owes a debt of gratitude to the editors."
- Arnold M. Cooper, M.D.
I. Historical Views
1. Sigmund Freud and the Psychology of Women
2. Early Psychoanalytic Views
3. Modern Commentaries on Historical Writings from 1900-1940
4. Modern Theoretical Formulations
II. Developmental Perspectives
5. Influences on Gender Differences
6. Preoedipal Development in Girls
7. Superego and the Oedipus Complex
10. Menstrual Cycle Experience
11. Adult Development: Overviews
12. Early Childhood: identity Consolidation, Autonomy, Attachments, Working, and Parenting
3. Love, Genital Primacy, and Relations Between the Sexes
14. Pregnancy and Motherhood
15. Adult Development: Midlife Issues, Menopause, and Aging
16. Fathers and Daughters
III. Female Sexuality, Character, Psychopathology
19. Gender Identity Disorders, Paraphilias, and the Ego-Distonic Homosexualities in Women L 20. Aspects of Female Character
23. Eating Disorders
24. Sexual Abuse
IV. Clinical Concepts
25. Gender Issues in Transference and Countertransference
26. The Pregnant Analyst: Clinical Issues
V. Reading Lists
27. Reading List: Feminist Academic Writings
28. Suggested Readings: A Psychoanalytic Perspective on Female Psychology