- Available for pre-order on March 10, 2023. Item will ship after March 31, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Now in its fourth edition, Finance: The Basics is a clear and practical introduction to the world of finance. It thoroughly explains essential financial statements, tools, and concepts; fundamental financial instruments and transactions; and global financial participants, markets, and systems.
This fully revised edition captures the most important aspects of a changing financial landscape, including:
• A new chapter dedicated to the emerging world of digital currencies, with a review of digital finance and a detailed discussion of regulated and unregulated digital currencies (including cryptocurrencies).
• New sections dealing with a range of social issues that directly impact on finance, including sustainability; environmental, social, and governance (ESG) and socially responsible investing (SRI) imperatives; microfinance; and impact investing.
• Twelve updated real-world case studies ('Finance in Action' studies) and nine new case studies focused on annuities, sustainability, green financings, microfinance, digital currencies, financial technology/decentralised finance, ESG and SRI investing, quantitative easing and tightening, and the financial emergence of China.
• A concise and comprehensive glossary containing key terms discussed in the book.
• Supplemental digital resources, including PowerPoints for instructors and a test bank of questions for students.
Each chapter is accompanied by an overview and summary, illustrations and tables, real-life case studies, and recommended readings. Finance: The Basics is essential reading for anyone interested in the fascinating world of finance.
Table of Contents
PART 1: Concepts and tools 1. The world of finance 2. The financial statements 3. Financial concepts and tools PART 2: Instruments and marketplaces 4. Common and preferred stock 5. Loans and bonds 6. Investment funds 7. Derivatives and insurance 8. Corporate finance 9. Digital Currencies 10. Financial Participations 11. The Global Financial Markets
Erik Banks is an experienced practitioner and regular contributor to the literature in the field of financial risk management, traded markets, derivatives, and regulation. He has spent over 30 years in international commercial and investment banking, working at major financial institutions in New York, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Munich, and Milan, and is the author of over 20 books on risk, derivatives, markets, and governance.