This book provides guidance on the design of timber buildings for fire safety, developed within the global network Fire Safe Use of Wood (FSUW) and with reference to Eurocode 5 and other international codes. It introduces the behaviour of fires in timber buildings and describes strategies for providing safety if unwanted fires occur. It provides guidance on building design to prevent any fires from spreading while maintaining the load-bearing capacity of structural timber elements, connections and compartmentation. Also included is information on the reaction-to-fire of wood products according to different classification systems, as well as active measures of fire protection, and quality of workmanship and inspection as means of fulfilling fire safety objectives.
- Presents global guidance on fire safety in timber buildings
- Provides a wide perspective, covering the whole field of fire safety design
- Uses the latest scientific knowledge, based on recent analytical and experimental research results
- Gives practical examples illustrating the importance of good detailing in building design
Fire Safe Use of Wood in Buildings is ideal for all involved in the fire safety of buildings, including architects, engineers, firefighters, educators, regulatory authorities, insurance companies and professionals in the building industry.
Table of Contents
1. Timber structures and wood products
2. Fire safety in timber buildings
3. Fire dynamics
4. Fire safety requirements in different regions
5. Reaction to fire performance
6. Fire separating assemblies
7. Load bearing timber structures
8. Timber connections
9. Prevention of fire spread within structures
10. Active fire protection by sprinklers
11. Performance-based design nd risk assessment
12. Robustness in fire
13. Building execution and control
14. Firefighting considerations for timber buildings
Dr Andy Buchanan is Principal at PTL Structural Consultants, and Emeritus Professor of Timber Design at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, and is the author of the New Zealand Timber Design Guide and Structural Design for Fire Safety.
Dr Birgit Östman is Emeritus in building technology at Linnaeus University, Sweden, has recently won the Bernadotte Royal Award of the Swedish Forestry Association, and the L.J. Markwardt Award for Best paper in Wood and Fiber Science 2018, Forest Products Society, USA