Presenting an empirically-underpinned synthesis of research and theory, while offering guidance for applied practitioners, this is the first book to comprehensively map the psychology of learning, playing and coaching the world’s favourite sport.
The book provides a complete analysis of key topics that capture the broad range of football psychology such as personality, motivation, cognition and emotion, coaching and team essentials, psychological skills for performance enhancement, and developing players in youth football. Including contributions from a range of international researchers, each chapter provides a review of the relevant literature, key theories, real-world examples, and reflections on how knowledge can be applied in practice. Split into four sections: mood, cognition and emotion; coaching essentials; psychological skills for performance; and youth development, the book covers a diverse range of topics relevant not only to coaching and performance but also to personality development and health promotion.
Essential reading for any student, researcher or professional in the area, the book is the most cutting-edge overview of how psychology can explain and improve the way football is both played and understood.
Section 1: Motivation, Cognition and Emotion
1) Motivation and mood states in football players
2) Mental toughness development in football
3) Courage in football
4) The unifying role of player responsibility in football
5) Nonverbal Intelligence in football
Section 2: Coaching Essentials in Football
6) Leadership and team dynamics in football
7) Effective coaching in football
8) Communication within the team
9) Coach justice and competence in football
10) Psychological aspects of training and practices in football: Training of technical, tactical, and cognitive skills in football
11) Burnout in football coaching
Section 3: Psychological Skills for Performance Development
12) Stress in football through the lens of acceptance and commitment therapy
13) Imagery in football
14) Self-Confidence and Collective Efficacy in Football
15) Goal setting in football
16) Concentration and self-talk in football
17) Applied Behavioral Analysis in top level football: Theory and application
18) Developing psychological skills in goalkeepers
Section 4: Developing the young player in Football
19) Parent coaching in football
20) Talent development in football
21) How youth soccer players learn to succeed
22) Helping players develop life skills in football
23) The transition from junior to elite football: Resources and barriers.
24) Preventing burnout and depression in youth football