• Do your students need to organize and summarize data for term projects? Will they need to perform these tasks on the job? This book gives them thorough preparation.
• In twelve short chapters, your students will learn the purposes of descriptive statistics, their calculation, and proper interpretation.
• Actual data on the emotional health of foster-care adolescents are used throughout the book to illustrate various ways of deriving meaning from the data with descriptive statistics. Other interesting examples are also included.
• Computational procedures are illustrated with step-by-step, easy-to-follow examples.
• End-of-chapter exercises provide ample practice for students to master both computations and statistical concepts.
• Eliminates the need for students to buy a traditional statistics book that emphasizes inferential statistics.
• Thoroughly field-tested for student comprehension.
• The answer key makes it easy for you to start using this book right away.
• This book will please you and your students with its clarity of presentation.
• Outstanding supplement for students who need to describe term project data.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Statistics
Chapter 2: Percentages and Bar Graphs
Chapter 3: Shapes of Distributions
Chapter 4: The Mean: The Most Popular Average
Chapter 5: The Median and Mode: Alternatives to the Mean
Chapter 6: The Standard Deviation: First Cousin of the Mean
Chapter 7: The Range, Quartiles, and Interquartile Range
Chapter 8: Standard Scores
Chapter 9: Scattergrams and the Pearson r
Chapter 10: The Coefficient of Determination
Chapter 11: Linear Regression
Chapter 12: Glossary of Descriptive Statistics
Appendix A: Formula for the Interpolated Median
Appendix B: Computational Formula for the Standard Deviation
Appendix C: Computational Formula for the Pearson r