The supply of petroleum continues to dwindle at an alarming rate, yet it is the source of a range of products — from gasoline and diesel to plastic, rubber, and synthetic fiber. Critical to the future of this commodity is that we learn to use it more judiciously and efficiently. Fundamentals of Petroleum and Petrochemical Engineering provides a holistic understanding of petroleum and petrochemical products manufacturing, presented in a step-by-step sequence of the entire supply chain.
Filled with crucial information relevant to a range of applications, the book covers topics such as:
- The essential preliminaries for the exploration and production of crude petroleum oil and gas
- Analysis of crude oil and its petroleum products
- The processing of petroleum in refineries
- The fundamentals of lubricating oil and grease
- Petrochemicals — their raw materials and end products, and manufacturing principles of industrially important products
- Theories and problems of unit operations and the processes involved in refineries and petrochemical plants
- Automatic operations in plants
- Start up, shutdown, maintenance, fire, and safety operations
- Commercial and managerial activities necessary for the ultimate success of a refining or manufacturing business
Due to the advancement of technology, new petrochemicals are being invented and will continue to be relevant to the petroleum industry in the near future. Those entering the industry need a firm grasp of the basics as the field continues to open up new avenues of possibility, while at the same time being cognizant of the challenges that exist through the heightened focus on sustainable energy.
Table of Contents
Crude Petroleum Oil. Petroleum Products and Test Methods. Processing Operations in a Petroleum Refinery. Lubricating Oil and Grease. Petrochemicals. Off Sites, Power, and Utilities. Material and Energy Balances. Heat Exchangers and Pipe-Still Furnaces. Distillation and Stripping.Extraction. Reactor Calculations. Elements of Pipeline Transfer Facilities. Instrumentation and Control in a Refinery. Miscellaneous. Plant Management and Economics. Appendix. Subject Index.
Uttam Ray Chaudhuri is an associate professor in the Department of Chemical Technology, University of Calcutta. He holds a Doctoral Degree in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India. He received his graduate and postgraduate degrees in chemical engineering from Jadavpur University. With 30 years experience in industry, research, and teaching in the field of chemical engineering and technology, he has a number of research publications in foreign and Indian journals to his credit. Professor Chaudhuri has also served as a chemical engineer in the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. in the refineries and pipe line division.