Fundamentals of U.S. Health Care
An Introduction for Health Professionals
All health care students must be familiar with the basic concepts of health care in the United States. This introductory textbook presents vital information on health care careers and legal, ethical, financial, and policy issues that will help their future practice. It includes chapters on:
- careers in the health care profession;
- the complexity of health care;
- the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act;
- professionalism in health;
- health care for special populations;
- the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards;
- research and advancements in health care;
- the future of health care.
Fundamentals of U.S. Health Care is unique in the way it highlights the important elements of each health career, including job requirements, length of study, and salaries. With the student in mind, this book is accompanied by a website that features detailed PowerPoints and test banks with more than 1,000 review questions.
Well-organized and easily understood, this overview provides a reliable, relevant resource and up-to-date reference. It is essential reading for all allied health students, including nurses, surgical technicians, dental hygienists, radiology technicians, medical assistants, pharmacy technicians, physician assistants, and more.
Table of Contents
1. The Complexity of Health Care Overview
2. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
3. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Health CareOverview
4. Health Care Financing and Payment for Services
5. Customer Service
6. Careers in the Health Care ProfessionOverview
7. Professionalism in Health CareOverview
8. Health Care for Special PopulationsOverview
9. Introduction to Global Health IssuesOverview
10. Global Health: Communicable and Non-Communicable
11. Emergencies Overview
12. Infection Control Overview
13. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Standards
14. The Communication Process
15. Computers and Technology in Health Care
17. Research and Advancements in Health Care
18. The Future of Health Care
Jahangir Moini is Professor of Science and Health at Eastern Florida State College, USA.
Morvarid Moini is a Pediatric Dentistry Resident at Tufts University, USA.