Gladstone and Disraeli surveys and compares the careers of these two influential Prime Ministers. Stephen J. Lee examines how Gladstone and Disraeli emerged as leaders of the two leading parties and goes on to consider their time in power, analyzing many different aspects of their careers.
Using a wide variety of sources and historiography, Lee compares and contrasts the beliefs of Gladstone and Disraeli, their effect on the economy, social reform, the Irish problem and parliamentary reform, and on foreign policy.
Table of Contents
Introduction. Outline Chronology 1. Gladstone and Disraeli Before 1868 2. The Ideas of Gladstone and Disraeli 3. Social, Economic and Institutional Reforms 4. Constitutional Reforms 5. Foreign Policy 6. Imperialism and Empire 7. Ireland 8. Gladstone, Disraeli and Their Political Parties
About the Series
Questions and Analysis in History contain the key elements essential to the study of history, whilst also offering a guide to best practice in essay writing and history skills. Each chapter of every book is organized around the key questions which historians debate, and hence, examiners look for. In addition, these short texts include a systematic examination of a variety of primary sources through questions and worked answers.
Through presenting analysis of source material as answers to questions, these books offer:
* a model of essay writing which reflects the skills required of students
* guidance with exam revision by focusing on type of questions set
* insight into the approach expected by examiners
* a starting point to launch students into their own investigations
* aid in acquiring sound techniques
* preparation for essays and document based questions
* promotion of discussion in class.
The series is regarded as the set of books that will push the student to an A grade. The books are both stretching and stimulating, and students have founf them invaluable during their revision for the final exams.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- HISTORY / General
- HISTORY / Europe / Great Britain
- HISTORY / Modern / 19th Century