The latest edition of this renowned textbook explores the states and regimes of the Middle East and North Africa. Presenting heavily revised, fully updated chapters contributed by the world’s leading experts, it analyzes the historical trajectory, political institutions, economic development, and foreign policies of the region’s nearly two dozen countries. The volume can be used in conjunction with its sister volume, The Societies of the Middle East and North Africa, for a comprehensive overview of the region.
Chapters are organized and structured identically, giving insightful windows into the nuances of each country’s domestic politics and foreign relations. Data tables and extensive annotated bibliographies orient readers towards further research. Whether used in conjunction with its sister volume or on its own, this book provides the most comprehensive and detailed overview of the region’s varied politics. Five new experts cover the critical country cases of Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Iran. All chapters cover the latest events, including trends that have remarkably changed in just a few years like the gradual end of the Syrian civil war. As such, this textbook is invaluable to students of Middle Eastern politics..
The ninth edition brings substantial changes. All chapters also have a uniform, streamlined structure that explores the historical context, social and economic environment, political institutions, regime dynamics, and foreign policy of each country. Fact boxes and political maps are now far more extensive, and photographs and images also help illustrate key points. Annotated bibliographies are vastly expanded, providing nothing short of the best list of research references for each country.
Table of Contents
1. Political Dynamics in the MENA: Democracy, Authoritarianism, and History Sean Yom
2. The Context of Political Life: Geography, Economics, and Social Forces Sean Yom
Part I: North Africa
3. Kingdom of Morocco Gregory White
4. People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria Azzedine Layachi
5. Republic of Tunisia Lindsay Benstead
6. State of Libya Karim Mezran and Tahani Elmogrbi
7. Arab Republic of Egypt Kira Jumet
Part II: Near East
8. State of Israel Mira Sucharov and Hamed Mousavi
9. Palestine Glenn Robinson
10. Syrian Arab Republic Thomas Pierret
11. Republic of Lebanon Imad Salamey
12. Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan André Bank
13. Republic of Iraq Ariel Ahram
14. Republic of Turkey Kristin Fabbe
Part III: The Gulf
15. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Sean Foley
16. Islamic Republic of Iran Saeid Golkar
17. Gulf States: Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, and Oman Jill Crystal
18. Republic of Yemen Stacey Yadav
Sean Yom is Associate Professor of Political Science at Temple University and Senior Fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute. He is a widely published expert on regimes and development in the Middle East and North Africa, and regularly travels to the region.