Green Communications and Networking introduces novel solutions that can bring about significant reductions in energy consumption in the information and communication technology (ICT) industry—as well as other industries, including electric power. Containing the contributions of leading experts in the field, it examines the latest research advances in green communications and networking for next-generation wired, wireless, and smart-grid networks.
The book presents cutting-edge algorithms, protocols, and network architectures to improve energy efficiency in communication networks. It illustrates the various aspects of modeling, analysis, design, management, deployment, and optimization of algorithms, protocols, and architectures of green communications and networking. The text examines energy-efficient hardware platforms, physical layer, networking, and applications. Containing helpful references in each chapter, it also:
- Proposes a mechanism for minimizing energy consumption of wireless networks without compromising QoS
- Reviews recent development in utility communication networks, including advanced metering infrastructure and SCADA
- Studies energy-efficient rate adaptation in long-distance wireless mesh networks
- Considers the architectural design of energy-efficient wireline Internet nodes
- Presents graph-theoretic solutions that can be adopted in an IP network to reduce the number of links used in the network during off-peak periods
- Outlines a methodology for optimizing time averages in systems with variable length frames
- Details a demand-based resources trading model for green communications
The book introduces a new solution for delivering green last-mile access: broadband wireless access with fiber-connected massively distributed antennas (BWA-FMDA). It also presents a methodology for optimizing time averages in systems with
Green Wireline Communications and Networking. Energy-efficient network architectures. Energy-efficient switching, topology, and routing protocols. Green applications over wireline networks. Green Wireless Communications and Networking. Cognitive and cooperative techniques for energy efficiency. Cross-layer design and optimization for green wireless communications and networking. Power-aware medium access control (MAC), radio resource management, and scheduling schemes. Energy-efficient base station design. Smart Grid Communications and Networking. Communication networks for smart grid. Smart metering, demand response, and dynamic pricing. Standardization, interoperability, and regulation. Green Communications and Networking Test-bed and Experimental Results. Measurement and profiling of energy consumption in green communications and networking. Test-bed and experimental results.