428 pages | 50 B/W Illus.
Handbook of Nutrition and Diet in Palliative Care, Second Edition, is a comprehensive guide, providing exhaustive information on nutrition and diet in terminal and palliative care. It covers physical, cultural and ethical aspects, bridging the intellectual divide in being suitable for novices and experts alike. Following in the tradition of its predecessor, chapters contain practical methods, techniques, and guidelines along with a section on applications to other areas of palliative care. Each chapter features key facts highlighting important areas, summary points, and ethical issues.
• Use of cannabinoids in palliative nutrition care
• Pain control in palliative care
• Communications in palliative/end-of-life care: aspects of bad news
• Anorexia in cancer: appetite, physiology, and beyond
• Palliative care in severe and enduring eating disorders
• Linking food supplementation and palliative care in HIV
• Eating-related distress in terminally ill cancer patients and their family members
• Palliative care of gastroparesis
• Preoperative nutrition assessment and optimization in the cancer patient
• Childhood leukemia, malnutrition, and mortality as components of palliative care
• End-of-life decisions in persons with neurodevelopmental disorders
• Resources: listing web sites, journals, books and organizations
Setting the Scene. The Need for a Specialized Interest in Food and Nutrition in Palliative Care. What do we Mean by Palliative Care? The World’s Major Religions’ View on End-of Life Issues. Why Surgeons are Ambivalent about Palliative Treatments. Sedation in Palliative Care and its Impact on Nutrition. Quality of Life Aspects of Diet and Nutrition in Dying Children. Nutrition and Quality of Life in Adults Receiving Palliative Care. Refractory Cancer Cachexia. Assisting Healthcare Facilities. Palliative Care Communications. Pain Control in Palliative Care. Cultural Aspects. Nutrition and Hydration: Japanese Perspectives. Nutrition Support in Palliative Care: Chinese Perspectives. Indian Perspectives. Cultural Aspects of Foregoing Tube Feeding. General Aspects. Stents in the GI Tract in Palliative Care. Artificial Nutrition. Support for Hydration at End of Life. Palliative Treatment of Dysphagia. Fatigue in Hospice Cancer patients. Constipation. Taste Alteration. Olfactory in Hospice Patients. Withholding Nutritional Support in European Countries. Cancer. Cachexia Related Suffering. GI Side Effects in Tumor Therapy. Upper GI symptoms. Palliative Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer. Total Parenteral Nutrition. Vitamin Deficiency. Appetite and Nausea. Palliative Gastrojejunostomy. Non-Cancer Conditions. Nutritional Support in the Vegetative State. Appetite Regulation in Renal Failure. Nutrition in End Stage Liver Disease. The Motor Disease. Nutritional Therapy in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Pharmacological Aspects. Cannabinoids. Steroids. Stimulants in CF. Nutrition and Warfarin Interaction. Case Studies and Resources. Malnutrition in Esophageal Cancer. Nutrition in Advanced Dementia. Pain Control in Palliative Care. Research and Resources.