Handbook of Research on Herbal Liver Protection
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
This important volume provides a comprehensive overview of hepatotoxicity and medicinal plants used for protecting the liver and for curing liver toxicity and liver diseases. To date, there has been no extensive resource on the plants that are used in this capacity, both in traditional medicine and in modern medicine. This book fills that gap. It presents information on the medicinal plants used in traditional medicine (both codified and noncodified) and in ethnomedicine, including the plant parts used and methods of use and dosages. The phytochemicals extracted from medicinal plants,screened and used in modern medicine for liver protection and curing liver problems, are given in detail, and the methods of screening are given as well. Methods of assay for screening the medicinal plants are also presented.
• Provides complete information on plants that show hepatoprotective properties
• Lists and discusses the phytochemicals useful for liver protection and cures
• Considers traditional uses and ethnomedicinal plants for liver protection
• Details the plant parts and the extracts that have protection properties and the active principles showing hepatoprotection
Table of Contents
1. Liver, Its Activities, Functions, Problems, and Diseases 2. Hepatotoxicity and Hepatoprotective Assay 3. Hepatoprotective Plants 4. Phytoconstituents with Hepatoprotective Activity 5. Ethnomedicinal Plants for Hepatoprotection in India 6. Polyherbal Formulations
T. Pullaiah, PhD, is a former Professor at the Department of Botany at Sri Krishnadevaraya University in Andhra Pradesh, India, where he has taught for more than 35 years. He has held several positions at the university, including Dean of Faculty of Biosciences, Head of the Department of Botany, Head of the Department of Biotechnology, and member of the Academic Senate. He was President of the Indian Botanical Society (2014), President of the Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (2013), and Fellow of Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences. During his career, he has received several important awards. Under his guidance, over 50 students earned their doctoral degrees. A prolific author, Dr. Pullaiah has written and edited many books and has published over 330 research papers, including reviews and book chapters.
Maddi Ramaiah, PhD, is Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacognosy, Hindu College of Pharmacy, Amaravathi Road, Guntur, A.P., India. He has 11 years of teaching and research experience and has published over 50 research and review papers in various reputed indexed national and international journals. He has also presented more than 15 research and review posters at national and international conferences. He is a textbook and book chapter author. He has been an active advisor member, editorial board member, and scientific reviewer for many reputed national and international journals, including Elsevier publications.