Heart of Practice is a unique and invaluable insight into the workings of one of theatre’s true pioneers, presented by his closest collaborator. This book charts the development of Grotowski’s dramatic research through a decade of conversations with his apprentice, Thomas Richards.
Tuscany’s ‘Workcenter of Jerzy Grotowski and Thomas Richards’ is the enduring legacy of a master teacher, director and theorist, and home to much of Grotowski’s most significant work. Interviewed by leading scholars, and offering his own intimate accounts, Richards gives a vivid and detailed view of the Workcenter’s evolution, providing:
- concrete illustration of the Workcenter’s distinctive creative practices
- rigorous discussion of over twenty years of world-renowned research
- previously unpublished performance photos
- privileged insight into what Grotowski considered to be the culmination of his life’s work.
Table of Contents
1. The Edge-Point of Performance – Interviewer Lisa Wolford 2. You Can’t Hold it in your Hands – Interviewer Tatiana Motta Lima 3. In the Territory of Something Third – Interviewer Kris Salata
Thomas Richards, a performing artist, earned a degree in Music and Theatre Studies from Yale University as an undergraduate, a Master's Degree in Art, Music and Performance from the University of Bologna, and a Ph.D. from the University of Paris VIII in the discpline of Art, Theatre and Dance Studies. Designated by Grotowski as his "essential collaborator" and the person to whom he transmitted the "inner aspect" of his work throughout a thirteen year practical apprenticeship, Richards is today the Artistic Director of the Workcenter, carrying forward a world-renowned performing arts research in which he has conducted a sustained investigation for more then 20 years. He is the author of At Work with Grotowski on Physical Actions, now published in seven languages.
'Heart of Practice provides a good insight into the Workcenter, and is a valuable addition to the 'Grotowski legacy' body of research.' - Total Theatre