The High North in a Time of Transition collects multiple perspectives on the lives of people in the High North of Norway at a point when the petroleum boom is no longer the dominant cultural feature of the region. Utilizing constructivist grounded theory, the volume contains a rich variety of narrative accounts of fieldwork conducted with those living above the Arctic circle in the city of Bodø. The book will be of interest to scholars from fields including anthropology, narrative theory, and Arctic and Scandinavian studies.
Table of Contents
Prologue: The Great Blue – Immersion Frode Soelberg
1. The High North in a Time of Transition: Gutsy Narratives and Wild Observations Frode Soelberg, Larry Browning and Jan-Oddvar Sørnes
Section I: Gutsy Narratives
Part I: Turning Points
2. Transcending the Shame and Stigma of Sexual Assault Melissa Dalton
3. The Making of a Whistle Blower Peer Jacob Svenkerud
4. From Authenticity to Undertow: The Experiences of a Couch Surfer in Norway Robert Carroll
5. From Panic to Power: Mental Healthcare and Support in High North Norway Mackenzie R. Greenwell
Part II: Game Changers
6. Diffusing the Soul of the North Arvind Singhal, and Peer Jacob Svenkerud
7. Mobb Deep Comes to Town Erik Holland
8. Conspicuous Art and Anonymous Artists Brad A. Haggadone
9. Crossing Cultures and Making Markets June Borge Doornich
10. Refugees living in Suspense in Bodø Anna Medica
Section II: Wild observations and Topic Dedication
Part III: Wild Observations
11. Refining the Value of a Barrel of Whiskey Jared Kopczynski
12. A Ride Home: Observations from the downs syndrome community Erin O’Connor
13. Four-Day Magic: Finding help and Healing for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Sarah Chorley
14. A Homeboy in the High North: Seeking and Finding Black Culture in Norway Eric D. Waters
15. From Baker Montana to Hellesylt: Reclaiming Lost Heritage LaRae D. Tronstad
Part IV: Topic Dedication
16. Rising through the Ranks, and the Loss of Meaning Rebecca Rice
17. “If it has a happy ending, it’s not Norwegian” Julie Escurignan
18. Cohabitation in a Norwegian way Lingzi Zhong
19. Domestic Violence in the High North of Norway Grace Cicatello
20. Summary and Analysis Madeline Maxwell
Frode Soelberg is Associate Professor in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, and Head of the MBA programs at the Nord University Business School, Norway.
Larry Browning is a Professor in Management at Nord University Business School, Norway.
Jan-Oddvar Sørnes is a Professor in Organizational Communication at Nord University Business School, Norway.