The processing of medical images in a reasonable timeframe and with high definition is very challenging. This volume helps to meet that challenge by presenting a thorough overview of medical imaging modalities, its processing, high-performance computing, and the need to embed parallelism in medical image processing techniques to achieve efficient and fast results.
With contributions from researchers from prestigious laboratories and educational institutions, High-Performance Medical Image Processing provides important information on medical image processing techniques, parallel computing techniques, and embedding parallelism in different image processing techniques. A comprehensive review of parallel algorithms in medical image processing problems is a key feature of this book. The volume presents the relevant theoretical frameworks and the latest empirical research findings in the area and provides detailed descriptions about the diverse high-performance techniques.
Topics discussed include parallel computing, multicore architectures and their applications in image processing, machine learning applications, conventional and advanced magnetic resonance imaging methods, hyperspectral image processing, algorithms for segmenting 2D slices for 3D viewing, and more. Case studies, such as on the detection of cancer tumors, expound on the information presented.
- Provides descriptions of different medical imaging modalities and their applications
- Discusses the basics and advanced aspects of parallel computing with different multicore architectures
- Expounds on the need for embedding data and task parallelism in different medical image processing techniques
- Presents helpful examples and case studies of the discussed methods
This book will be valuable for professionals, researchers, and students working in the field of healthcare engineering, medical imaging technology, applications in machine and deep learning, and more. It is also appropriate for courses in computer engineering, biomedical engineering and electrical engineering based on artificial intelligence, parallel computing, high performance computing, and machine learning and its applications in medical imaging.
1. Basic Understanding of Medical Imaging Modalities
Pradeep Kumar, Subodh Srivastava, and Rajeev Srivastava
2. Parallel Computing
Biswajit Jena, Pulkit Thakar, Gopal Krishna Nayak, and Sanjay Saxena
3. Basic Understanding of Medical Image Processing
Pradeep Kumar, Subodh Srivastava, and Y. Padma Sai
4. Multicore Architectures and Their Applications in Image Processing
T. Venkata Sridhar and G. Chenchu Krishnaiah
5. Machine Learning Applications in Medical Image Processing
Tanmay Nath and Martin A. Lindquist
6. Conventional and Advanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging Methods
Rupsa Bhattacharjee and Snekha Thakran
7. Detection and Classification of Brain Tumors from MRI Images by Different Classifiers
J. V. Bibal Benifa, Jipsa Philip, and Channa Basava Chola
8. Tumor Detection Based on 3D Segmentation Using Region of Interest
T. M. Rajesh, S. G. Shaila, and Lavanya B. Koppal
9. Advances in Parallel Techniques for Hyperspectral Image Processing
Yaman Dua, Vinod Kumar, and Ravi Shankar Singh
10. Case Study: Pulmonary Nodule Detection Using Image Processing and Statistical Networks
11. Embedding Parallelism in Image Processing Techniques and Its Applications
Suchismita Das, G. K. Nayak, and Sanjay Saxena
12. High-Performance Computing and Its Requirements in Deep Learning
Biswajit Jena, Gopal Krishna Nayak, and Sanjay Saxena
"A valuable window into different medical imaging modalities, different medical image processing techniques, parallel computing, and the need to embed data and task parallelism in medical image processing. The challenges in handling a massive amount of medical imaging data are vast and exciting. Scientists and researchers are working on them with enthusiasm, tenacity, and dedication to develop new parallelism methods, analysis, and provide new solutions to keep up with the ever-changing threats. In this new age of healthcare engineering, it is necessary to provide a way to discuss several issues of medical imaging processing and analysis techniques by both the professionals and students with state-of-the-art knowledge on the frontiers in medical sciences. This book is a good step in that direction."
Prof. Rajeev Srivastava, Professor and Head of the Department, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, India