This is the first book exploring the concept of home advantage (HA), the well-known beneficial effect that players and teams derive from performing at home in all sports throughout the world. Despite the fact that the existence of HA dates back to the origins of organized sport in the late 19th century, its root causes and how they operate and interact with each other are still unclear and remain the topic of intense research involving many disciplines, all with the potential objective of improving team and individual performance.
This book covers a broad review of HA divided into three different sections: (i) Section 1 focuses on the theory of HA in sport (the concept of this phenomenon, its quantification, and factors supposedly associated with the HA are explored; (ii) Section 2 analyses the effects of HA in sports related to both male and female athletes, in relation to tactics and strategies, fans, referees, travel, situational variables and the home disadvantage; and (iii) Section 3 studies the HA as it applies to specific sports worldwide such as outdoor sports (football, rugby, cricket, and Australian Football), indoor sports (basketball, futsal, handball, water polo and volleyball), US professional sports, individual sports, racket sports, combat sports, minor sports, disabled sports and the Olympic Games.
This book has been written in cooperation with top leading experts in this field worldwide. The book offers a better understanding of the HA effect for MSc and PhD students, athletes, coaches, performance analysts, sport psychologists, sociologists, sport scientists and sport journalists.
Section 1: Theory of Home Advantage in Sports
1. The Home Advantage Phenomenon in Sport: History and Development
Miguel A. Gómez and Richard Pollard
2. Long-term Trends and Geographical Perspectives of Home Advantage
Richard Pollard and Miguel A. Gómez
3. Science Mapping: A Bibliometric Analysis of the Home Advantage Phenomenon in Sport
4. The Assessment and Quantification of the Home Advantage Effect
Richard Pollard and Raymond Stefani
5. Home Sweet Home: Theoretical Explanations on Why the Local Stadium and Local Environment Affects the Performance of Home and Away Teams
Fabian Wunderlich, Philip Furley, and Daniel Memmert
6. Crowd Effects, Territoriality and Home Advantage: A Sociological Explanation
Raúl Sánchez and Antonio García-de-Alcaraz
7. My Home is (Not Always) My Castle: Advantageous and Adverse Psychological Effects of Playing at Home
Michael Bar-Eli and Simcha Avugos
8. Physiological Basis for Home Advantage
Anthony S. Leicht, Jonathan D. Connor and Glen B. Deakin
Section 2: Effects of Home Advantage in Sports
9. How Does Playing Without an Audience Affect the Home Advantage?
Carlos Lago-Peñas and Miguel A. Gómez
10. Strategy, Tactics and Home Advantage in Team Sports
Bruno Gonçalves Diogo Coutinho, Hugo Folgado, Angel Ric, Jorge Malarranha, and Jaime Sampaio
11. The Home Advantage Bias in Sport Referees’ Decisions
Simcha Avugos and Michael Bar-Eli
12. The influence of Travel in the Home Advantage Effect
Ewan Clements, Peter M Fowler and Rob Duffield
13. Does a Home Disadvantage Ever Exist?
Desmond Mcewan and Matt D. Hoffman
14. The Interacting Effects of Situational Variables with Home Advantage
Jaime Prieto and Miguel A. Gómez
15. The Home Advantage Effect in Women’s Sport
Werlayne Leite, Richard Pollard, and Miguel A. Gómez
16. Home Advantage Effect at Lower Levels of Play
Werlayne Leite and Carlos H. Almeida
Section 3: Home Advantage Applied to Specific Sports
17. Home Advantage in Soccer
18. Is Playing at Home Really an Advantage? An Australian Football, Rugby League and Rugby Union perspective
Carl T. Woods and Sam Robertson
19. Home Advantage in Cricket
Jonathan D. Connor, Kenji Doma and Anthony S. Leicht
20. Home Advantage in Basketball
Nuno Mateus, Bruno Gonçalves and Jaime Sampaio
21. Home Advantage in Handball
Anna Volossovitch and Thierry Debanne.
22. Home Advantage in Futsal
Bruno Travassos, João Santos, and César Méndez.
23. Home Advantage in Water Polo
24. Home Advantage in Volleyball
José Manuel Palao, Antonio García-de-Alcaraz and David Valadés.
25. Individual Home Advantage with Individual Data
Ruud H. Koning.
26. Home Advantage in Racket Sports: An Example from Professional Tennis and Badminton
José-María Giménez-Egido and Gema Torres-Luque
27. Home Advantage in Combat Sports
Lindei Brabec Mota Barreto, Bianka Miarka and Jose Ciro Brito
28. Home Advantage in Golf
29. Home Advantage in US professional Sports
Marshall B Jones
30. Home Advantage in Summer and Winter Olympic Games
31. Home Advantage in Minor Sports
Richard Pollard, Jaime Prieto, and Miguel A. Gómez
32. Home Advantage in Para-sports
John W. Francis