Thinking about a career in property or construction? Thinking of becoming of Chartered Surveyor? How to Become a Chartered Surveyor demystifies the process and provides a clear road map for candidates to follow.
The book outlines potential pathways and practice areas within the profession and includes the breadth and depth of surveying, from commercial, residential and project management, to geomatics and quantity surveying. Experienced APC assessor and trainer, Jen Lemen BSc (Hons) FRICS, provides invaluable guidance, covering:
- routes to becoming a Chartered Surveyor, including t-levels, apprenticeships and alternative APC routes such as the Senior Professional, Academic and Specialist assessments
- areas of professional practice
- advice for the AssocRICS, APC (MRICS), FRICS and Registered Valuer assessments, including both written and interview elements
- advice on referrals and appeals
- how to support candidates, including the role of the Counsellor and Supervisor
- opportunities for further career progression, including further qualifications and setting up in practice as an RICS regulated firm
- global perspectives
- professional ethics for surveyors
Written in clear, concise and simple terms and providing practical advice throughout, this book will help candidates to decode and understand the RICS guidance, plan their career and be successful in their journey to become a Chartered Surveyor. It will also be of relevance to academic institutions, employers, school leavers, apprentices, senior professionals, APC Counsellors/Supervisors and careers advisors.
Table of Contents
1. What is a Chartered Surveyor? 2. Areas of Professional Practice 3. Routes to Becoming a Chartered Surveyor 4. APC 5. AssocRICS 6. Referrals 7. Appeals 8. Supporting Candidates 9. FRICS 10. Registered Valuer Assessments 11. Other Qualifications 12. Setting Up In Practice 13. Global Perspectives 14. Professional Ethics
Jen Lemen BSc (Hons) FRICS is a Chartered Surveyor and co-founder of Property Elite, a company providing training and support to RICS APC, AssocRICS and FRICS candidates. She is also an experienced property consultant (co-Director of Projekt), an RICS Registered Valuer and an RICS Accredited Mediator, with nearly 15 years' experience working in the commercial property sector. She also has academic experience as a Senior Lecturer at the University of the West of England, Lecturer at the University of Portsmouth and Associate Tutor at the University College of Estate Management. Her RICS assessment experience includes sitting on final APC interview panels, APC appeal panels and being a lead APC preliminary review assessor. She also assesses written AssocRICS submissions.