So you’ve always dreamed of a career in publishing… but you don’t know where to start or how? You’re holding the key in your hands!
Using insider information, How to Get A Job in Publishing is the newly revised edition of the classic text for you if you are keen to work in publishing or associated industries – or if you are already in publishing and want to go further.
Packed with real-life quotes, case studies and practical advice from publishing veterans, and more recent arrivals, the authors differentiate types of publishing and explain how roles and departments work together. They discuss the pros and cons of internships and further study as well as training and lifelong learning, working internationally, networking and building your personal brand. The book includes vital guidelines for applying for publishing roles, including sample CVs and cover letters and a glossary of industry terms, to make sure you stand out from the crowd when you apply for jobs.
This thoroughly updated edition covers:
- The post-pandemic publishing world, changes and current controversies, the rise of e-books, Amazon, self-publishing and indie publishing
- The growth in tertiary courses in Publishing Studies and internships – are they really the best way in?
- How to create your CV and a compelling cover letter that gets you noticed
A new chapter addresses equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging, reflecting on the current state of the publishing industry, how to evaluate potential employers and how to look after yourself and others at work.
Whether you are a new or soon-to-be graduate of Media and Publishing, or are just interested in a career in publishing or the creative industries, How to Get A Job in Publishing is an essential resource.
Foreword - On Books, Kate Wilson
Foreword - On Publishing Education, Claire Squires
Foreword - On Magazines - Steve Prentice
- Why Publishing and Why You?
- This Publishing Business
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging in Publishing
- About Book Publishing
- About Journal Publishing
- About Magazine Publishing
- About Digital Publishing
- Where Will Your Skill Set Take You?
- What Job is Right for You?
- Study, Training and Lifelong Learning
- Internships, Placements and Work Experience
- How to Create a Compelling CV
- How to Put Together Your Job Application
- Networking and Your Personal Brand
- Advertised and Non-Advertised Opportunities
- Recruitment Agencies
- How to Give a Great Job Interview
- Referees, Job Offers and Negotiation
- Working Internationally
- Your Future in Publishing
Useful organisations and websites
Glossary of Publishing Terms
"How can you land a role in the exciting new world of publishing? This book will help you enormously."
-Steve Prentice, Group MD, Special Interest Group, Bauer Media
"I wanted a job in publishing but I didn’t know anyone who had anything to do with publishing. Now, with this wise and information-packed book in your hand, finding a role in publishing is considerably easier."
–Kate Wilson, CEO, Nosy Crow
"It’s crucial that potential entrants to the publishing industry are encouraged, helped, and offered pathways to successful and fulfilling careers. How to Get a Job in Publishing contributes substantially to this career guidance – read it with attention."
-Professor Claire Squires, Chair, Association for Publishing Education and Director of the Stirling Centre for International Publishing and Communication