Human Resource Management for the Hospitality and Tourism Industries takes an integrated look at HRM policies and practices in the tourism and hospitality industries. Utilising existing human resource management (HRM) theory and practice, it contextualises it to the tourism and hospitality industries by looking at the specific employment practices of these industries, such as how to manage tour reps or working in the airline industry.
It initially sets the scene with a broad review of the evidence of HRM practice within the tourism and hospitality industries. Having identified the broader picture, the text then begin to focus much more explicitly on a variety of HR policies and practices such as:
• recruitment and selection: the effects of ICT, skills required specific for the industry and the nature of advertising
• legislation and equal opportunities: illegal discrimination and managing diversity
• staff health and welfare: violence in the workplace, working time directives, smoking and alcohol and drug misuse
• remuneration strategies in the industry: the ‘cafeteria award’ approach, minimum wage and tipping
Human Resource Management for the Hospitality and Tourism Industries is illustrated throughout with both examples of best practice for prescriptive teaching and discussion, and international case studies to exercise problem solving techniques and contextualise learning. It incorporates a user friendly layout and includes pedagogic features such as: chapter outlines and objectives, HRM in practice – boxed examples, reflective review questions, web links’ discussion questions and further reading.
Accompanying the text is a companion website which includes extra case studies to aid teaching and learning.
1. The Nature of HRM in Hospitality and Tourism 2. Organisational Culture and the Search for Service Quality 3. Labour Markets 4. Recruitment and Selection 5. Equal Opportunities 6. Training and Development 7. Staff Health and Welfare 8. Employee Relations, Involvement and Participation 9. Performance Management 10. Remuneration Strategies in Hospitality and Tourism 11. Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures 12. Review of HRM in Tourism and Hospitality and Areas for Future Research
Download these free resources to help you in your studies.