This groundbreaking second edition of Human Sexuality continues its broad and interdisciplinary goal of providing readers with a comprehensive overview on sexuality as a core part of our individual identities and social lives.
Edited by anthropological experts on the subject, this unique textbook integrates evolutionary and cultural aspects to provide a fully interdisciplinary approach to human sexuality that is rare in this area of scholarship. Fully updated throughout in line with developments in the field, this second edition includes fresh material exploring new sexual identities, sexual violence and consent, Internet pornography, conversion therapy, polyamory, and much more. In addition to providing a rich array of photographs, illustrations, tables, and a glossary of terms, this textbook explores:
- pregnancy and childbirth as a bio-cultural experience
- life-course issues related to gender identity, sexual orientations, behaviors, and lifestyles
- socioeconomic, political, historical, and ecological influences on sexual behavior
- early childhood sexuality, puberty, and adolescence
- birth control, fertility, conception, and sexual differentiation
- HIV infection, AIDS, AIDS globalization, and sex work.
Utilizing viewpoints across cultural and national boundaries and taking into account the evolution of human anatomy, sexual behavior, attitudes, and beliefs across the globe, Human Sexuality, Second Edition, remains an essential text for educators and students who wish to understand human sexuality in all of its richness and complexity.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Biological, Psychological, and Cultural Approaches 3. The Evolutionary History of Human Sexuality 4. Introduction to the Hormonal Basis of Modern Human Sexuality 5. Modern Human Male Anatomy and Physiology 6. Modern Human Female Anatomy and Physiology 7. Fertility, Conception, and Sexual Differentiation 8. Birth Control, Abortion, and Methods of Birth Control in Cross-Cultural Contexts 9. Pregnancy and Childbirth 10. Sexuality through the Life Stages, Part I: Early Childhood Sexuality 11. Sexuality through the Life Stages: Part II: Puberty and Adolescence 12. Sexuality through the Life Stages: Part III: Adult Sexuality 13. Sexuality through the Life Stages: Part IV: Sexuality and Aging 14. Sexual Identities, Preferences, and Behaviors 15. Sex, Sexuality, and Gender 16. Sexual Health: HIV, AIDS, and Sexually Transmitted Diseases 17. Global Aspects of Sex and Sexuality 18. Summary and Conclusion
Anne Bolin, PhD, is a professor emerita from Elon University, diplomate with the American Board of Sexology, a certified sex researcher, and former co-chair/co-founder of the Human Sexuality and Anthropology Interest Group.
Patricia Whelehan, PhD, CST, CAC-CA, NY, is a professor emerita from SUNY Potsdam, a certified HIV Test Counselor in California and New York, and a certified sex therapist, mentor, diplomate, and clinical supervisor with the American Board of Sexology.
Muriel Vernon, PhD, is an assistant professor of anthropology from Elon University. She is the founder of followthefuture.org and currently specializes in cellular agriculture education.
Katja Antoine, PhD, is Program and Research Developer at the UCLA Center for the Study of Women.